all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de>
To: "Nazir " <elxsian@gmail.com>
Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Compile mode in emacs!!
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:29:09 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 28.03.2007 um 07:10 schrieb Nazir:

> The path in the shell is already set to the required compiler.

So the question is, why has GNU Emacs another another PATH value
active? Do launch it from some menu? I looks as if your login shell
provides a different environment than what you use in an interactive
shell. If you fix this issue, then GNU Emacs will find the same
compiler as you in some shell.

> I need to run a set of make files.
> I do not want to change the "CC" in the make files.

As I showed in my examples: you can use env to set particular
environment variables.

> I want to use, say "/tools/gnu/gcc". (THe shell from which emacs is
> laucnhed points to this gcc! )

Then my guess is that some environment variables reset the value. You
can, for example do M-x compile RET and then erase the default make
command and substitute it with env or printenv to see which
environment the compile process sees. Then some corrections can be made.

> Can I configure the emacs to pick the required compiler?

I don't see this. There is a customisation group for the compilation
process (C-h f compile RET and you'll find a hint in the *Help*
buffer or via menus Options -> Customize Emacs -> Specific Group…,
name completion works), but there is nothing to set the compiler
explicitly. This is done in the shell or in Makefiles, as determined
by a configure script for example, or set by the programmer.

--
Greetings

   Pete                                           0
                                            %-/\_//
                                             (*)(*)