all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
       [not found] <49be4d49d502.49d50249be4d@net.lu.se>
@ 2007-03-26 13:26 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-26 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: LENNART BORGMAN; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

On 3/26/07, LENNART BORGMAN <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:

> > Do you have ClearType on?
>
> Yes

Does it happen also with ClearType off? (I think you could've tried
this without me asking it ;-)

Do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch?

> Just checked on another display and I do not see that problem
> there. (However later is w2k and the one where I see the
> problem is XP.)

So you didn't really check on "another display", but another computer
setup... And AFAIK, W2K does not support ClearType.

Does it happen with the stock CVS Emacs too? Five months ago I
committed a patch from Ben North that could be related (Ben's patch
definitely fixed a problem with bold faces in ClearType-enabled
Windows, BTW).

2006-10-27  Ben North  <ben@redfrontdoor.org>  (tiny change)

        * w32term.c (x_draw_glyph_string_foreground): Set background mode
        to TRANSPARENT before using overstrike to simulate bold faces.

        * xfaces.c (best_matching_font): Fix logic to decide whether to
        use overstriking to simulate bold-face (it was reversed).

                Juanma

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 14:01   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-26 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On 3/26/07, LENNART BORGMAN <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:
>
>> > Do you have ClearType on?
>>
>> Yes
>
> Does it happen also with ClearType off? (I think you could've tried
> this without me asking it ;-)

Ehum, no. I thought there was no use in trying that, but no, it does not
happen with ClearType off.

So now I have some reasons having ClearType on and at least one having
it off ;-|

>> but it still may be a problem with the KVM switch again.
>
> Do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch?

Yes.

>> Just checked on another display and I do not see that problem
>> there. (However later is w2k and the one where I see the
>> problem is XP.)
>
> So you didn't really check on "another display", but another computer
> setup... And AFAIK, W2K does not support ClearType.

Yes, a totally different setup. No ClearType, no KVM, w2k.

> Does it happen with the stock CVS Emacs too? Five months ago I
> committed a patch from Ben North that could be related (Ben's patch
> definitely fixed a problem with bold faces in ClearType-enabled
> Windows, BTW).

Yes, it happens with the stock CVS Emacs too. (I always - tbh nearly -
with the stock CVS Emacs first. Even if I see no reason that there
should be any difference.)

> 2006-10-27  Ben North  <ben@redfrontdoor.org>  (tiny change)
>
>        * w32term.c (x_draw_glyph_string_foreground): Set background mode
>        to TRANSPARENT before using overstrike to simulate bold faces.
>
>        * xfaces.c (best_matching_font): Fix logic to decide whether to
>        use overstriking to simulate bold-face (it was reversed).

CVS Emacs from 2007-03-21.

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 14:56     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

On 3/26/07, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ehum, no. I thought there was no use in trying that

Oh, of course, I asked about ClearType because it obviously had no
relation whatsoever... :)

> So now I have some reasons having ClearType on and at least one having
> it off ;-|

There are issues with ClearType; see for example this item from
admin/FOR-RELEASE:

** Drew Adams 12 Aug bug rpt: overlay  display artifact: trace left behind
Windows only bug. Bug appears only when Cleartype enabled, probably related
to the hack introduced on 2005-07-01 to fix some other Cleartype problem.

In fact, your problem could be related to the original problem fixed
by Jason's original patch of 2005-07-01.

BTW, what font are you using in your tests? Or does it happen with any font?

             Juanma

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 15:20       ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> There are issues with ClearType; see for example this item from
> admin/FOR-RELEASE:
>
> ** Drew Adams 12 Aug bug rpt: overlay  display artifact: trace left behind
> Windows only bug. Bug appears only when Cleartype enabled, probably related
> to the hack introduced on 2005-07-01 to fix some other Cleartype problem.

Yes, I have seen some traces of background coloring remaining on the
screen, but I wonder whether that is an overlay only thing. I will try
to observe it again.

> BTW, what font are you using in your tests? Or does it happen with any
> font?

The default. I have never tried changing font, actually. If you have any
suggestions for testing then please point me to some quick recipe for
changing fonts to.

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 15:28         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-26 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

On 3/26/07, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, I have seen some traces of background coloring remaining on the
> screen, but I wonder whether that is an overlay only thing.

What do you mean with "an overlay only thing"? That only happens with overlays?

> The default.

What is the default font?

> I have never tried changing font, actually. If you have any
> suggestions for testing then please point me to some quick recipe for
> changing fonts to.

Try the dejavu fonts. They're quite nice.

             Juanma

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 15:51           ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-26 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
 > On 3/26/07, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
 >
 >> Yes, I have seen some traces of background coloring remaining on the
 >> screen, but I wonder whether that is an overlay only thing.
 >
 > What do you mean with "an overlay only thing"? That only happens with
 > overlays?

I just read citation of the bug report you made:

** Drew Adams 12 Aug bug rpt: OVERLAY display artifact: trace left behind

 >> The default.
 >
 > What is the default font?

  -outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1

 >> I have never tried changing font, actually. If you have any
 >> suggestions for testing then please point me to some quick recipe for
 >> changing fonts to.
 >
 > Try the dejavu fonts. They're quite nice.

Ok, I have downloaded and installed the Dejavu LGC TT fonts. But what do
I do now? In Emacs on w32?

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 22:05             ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-03-26 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

On 3/26/07, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just read citation of the bug report you made:

Yes, sorry.

>   -outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-*-iso8859-1

I can see the problem with Courier New. It doesn't happen for me with DejaVu.

> Ok, I have downloaded and installed the Dejavu LGC TT fonts. But what do
> I do now? In Emacs on w32?

What I do is to define a fontset in the registry
(HKLM\Software\GNU\Emacs), i.e., an Emacs.Fontset-0 string value with

-*-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-r-normal-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-fontset-dejavu

and Emacs.Font = fontset-dejavu

             Juanma

* Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
@ 2007-03-26 23:05               ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-26 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, Emacs-Devel

Juanma Barranquero wrote:

>> Ok, I have downloaded and installed the Dejavu LGC TT fonts. But what do
>> I do now? In Emacs on w32?
>
> What I do is to define a fontset in the registry
> (HKLM\Software\GNU\Emacs), i.e., an Emacs.Fontset-0 string value with
>
> -*-DejaVu Sans Mono-normal-r-normal-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-fontset-dejavu
>
> and Emacs.Font = fontset-dejavu

Thanks. I do not see the problem with this font either. Now I just have
to get used to it... ;-)