all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
To: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org, Emacs-Devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: Bold font hides end of previous character
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:01:30 +0200	[thread overview]

Juanma Barranquero wrote:
> On 3/26/07, LENNART BORGMAN <lennart.borgman.073@student.lu.se> wrote:
>
>> > Do you have ClearType on?
>>
>> Yes
>
> Does it happen also with ClearType off? (I think you could've tried
> this without me asking it ;-)

Ehum, no. I thought there was no use in trying that, but no, it does not
happen with ClearType off.

So now I have some reasons having ClearType on and at least one having
it off ;-|

>> but it still may be a problem with the KVM switch again.
>
> Do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KVM_switch?

Yes.

>> Just checked on another display and I do not see that problem
>> there. (However later is w2k and the one where I see the
>> problem is XP.)
>
> So you didn't really check on "another display", but another computer
> setup... And AFAIK, W2K does not support ClearType.

Yes, a totally different setup. No ClearType, no KVM, w2k.

> Does it happen with the stock CVS Emacs too? Five months ago I
> committed a patch from Ben North that could be related (Ben's patch
> definitely fixed a problem with bold faces in ClearType-enabled
> Windows, BTW).

Yes, it happens with the stock CVS Emacs too. (I always - tbh nearly -
with the stock CVS Emacs first. Even if I see no reason that there
should be any difference.)

> 2006-10-27  Ben North  <ben@redfrontdoor.org>  (tiny change)
>
>        * w32term.c (x_draw_glyph_string_foreground): Set background mode
>        to TRANSPARENT before using overstrike to simulate bold faces.
>
>        * xfaces.c (best_matching_font): Fix logic to decide whether to
>        use overstriking to simulate bold-face (it was reversed).

CVS Emacs from 2007-03-21.