all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* trouble generating Javadoc with JDEE
@ 2007-03-22 17:23 Malte Spiess
       [not found] ` <mailman.1275.1174598063.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Malte Spiess @ 2007-03-22 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi fellas,

I'm having some trouble generating the docu with jde(e) here on my
Debian system with the Emacs snapshot and Sun Java6.

I have updated the alternatives, that means that I can enter javadoc as
any user and it will use the appropriate version (in case this matters)
as supposed by the guide on the JDEE homepage. More precisely speaking
the link /usr/bin/javadoc is set as it should be. Thus using javadoc on
a terminal works fine.

Still when I do `M-x jde-javadoc-make` in a buffer showing a .java file
all I get is
apply: Symbol's value as variable is void: compilation-nomessage-regexp-alist
.

Has anyone an idea why this happens?

Any help is appreciated!

Malte

* Re: trouble generating Javadoc with JDEE
@ 2007-03-22 21:12 ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found] ` <mailman.1275.1174598063.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-22 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Malte Spiess wrote:
> Hi fellas,
>
> I'm having some trouble generating the docu with jde(e) here on my
> Debian system with the Emacs snapshot and Sun Java6.
>
> I have updated the alternatives, that means that I can enter javadoc as
> any user and it will use the appropriate version (in case this matters)
> as supposed by the guide on the JDEE homepage. More precisely speaking
> the link /usr/bin/javadoc is set as it should be. Thus using javadoc on
> a terminal works fine.
>
> Still when I do `M-x jde-javadoc-make` in a buffer showing a .java file
> all I get is
> apply: Symbol's value as variable is void: compilation-nomessage-regexp-alist
> .
>
> Has anyone an idea why this happens?

It works for me, using jde version 2.3.5.1 (C-h v jde-version) and gjdoc
(installed java-gcj-compat-dev , which is also in Debian testing).  I
have the below customizations on javadoc, neither of which should matter
here:

'(jde-javadoc-checker-level (quote private))
'(jde-javadoc-gen-args (quote ("-validhtml")))

Do any features of JDE work?

Matt Flaschen

@ 2007-03-23 12:44   ` Malte Spiess
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1331.1174681592.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Malte Spiess @ 2007-03-23 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Malte Spiess wrote:
>> Hi fellas,
>>
>> I'm having some trouble generating the docu with jde(e) here on my
>> Debian system with the Emacs snapshot and Sun Java6.
>>
>> I have updated the alternatives, that means that I can enter javadoc as
>> any user and it will use the appropriate version (in case this matters)
>> as supposed by the guide on the JDEE homepage. More precisely speaking
>> the link /usr/bin/javadoc is set as it should be. Thus using javadoc on
>> a terminal works fine.
>>
>> Still when I do `M-x jde-javadoc-make` in a buffer showing a .java file
>> all I get is
>> apply: Symbol's value as variable is void: compilation-nomessage-regexp-alist
>> .
>>
>> Has anyone an idea why this happens?
>
> It works for me, using jde version 2.3.5.1 (C-h v jde-version) and gjdoc
> (installed java-gcj-compat-dev , which is also in Debian testing).

Yeah, forgot the most important version number. It's JDE 2.3.5.1 here, too.

> I have the below customizations on javadoc, neither of which should
> matter here:
>
> '(jde-javadoc-checker-level (quote private))
> '(jde-javadoc-gen-args (quote ("-validhtml")))

Hm, I don't think so either.

> Do any features of JDE work?

Yes, actually most features that I have used so far work nicely. I
haven't explored all of the nifty stuff yet, but what definitely works
is:
-compiling (C-c C-v C-c / jde-compile)
-running the application (C-c C-v C-r / jde-run)

I've had some trouble with Sun Java version 6, as this is apparently not
yet officially supported, but cheating with the version seems to do the
trick.

Just not to mess my configuration up manually, I have completely used
the customize stuff so far. Here is what I've got in my .emacs:
,----
| '(jde-checkstyle-classpath (quote ("/usr/share/java/checkstyle.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-cli.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-beanutils.jar:/usr/share/java/commons-logging.jar:/usr/share/java/antlrall.jar")))
| '(jde-checkstyle-style "/home/mspiess/java/checkstyle/sun_checks.xml")
| '(jde-compile-enable-kill-buffer t)
| '(jde-compile-finish-hook (quote (jde-compile-finish-kill-buffer jde-compile-finish-update-class-info)))
| '(jde-compile-option-deprecation t)
| '(jde-compile-option-directory "/home/mspiess/java/bin")
| '(jde-compile-option-sourcepath (quote ("/home/mspiess/java/src")))
| '(jde-compiler (quote ("javac" "/usr/bin/javac")))
| '(jde-global-classpath (quote ("/home/mspiess/java/bin")))
| '(jde-help-docsets (quote (("JDK API" "/usr/share/doc/sun-java6-doc/html/api/" nil))))
| '(jde-javadoc-gen-destination-directory "~/java/doc/")
| '(jde-javadoc-gen-packages (quote ("~/java/src/")))
| '(jde-jdk (quote ("1.5")))
| '(jde-jdk-registry (quote (("1.5" . "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/"))))
| '(jde-run-option-boot-classpath (quote ("append" "/home/mspiess/java/bin/")))
| '(jde-run-option-classpath "global")
| '(jde-vm-path "/usr/bin/java")
`----

The JDE help seems not to be available either btw. I always get:
jde-show-help: Cannot find JDE help file.

I don't know if the two problems have something to do with each other, but...

> Matt Flaschen

Thanks so far

@ 2007-03-23 20:24     ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1331.1174681592.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-23 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Malte Spiess; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Malte Spiess wrote:
> [...]
> | '(jde-checkstyle-style "/home/mspiess/java/checkstyle/sun_checks.xml")
> | '(jde-compile-enable-kill-buffer t)
> | '(jde-compile-finish-hook (quote (jde-compile-finish-kill-buffer jde-compile-finish-update-class-info)))
> | '(jde-compile-option-deprecation t)
> | '(jde-compile-option-directory "/home/mspiess/java/bin")
> | '(jde-compile-option-sourcepath (quote ("/home/mspiess/java/src")))
> | '(jde-compiler (quote ("javac" "/usr/bin/javac")))
> | '(jde-global-classpath (quote ("/home/mspiess/java/bin")))
> | '(jde-help-docsets (quote (("JDK API" "/usr/share/doc/sun-java6-doc/html/api/" nil))))
> | '(jde-javadoc-gen-destination-directory "~/java/doc/")
> | '(jde-javadoc-gen-packages (quote ("~/java/src/")))
> | '(jde-jdk (quote ("1.5")))
> | '(jde-jdk-registry (quote (("1.5" . "/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/"))))
> | '(jde-run-option-boot-classpath (quote ("append" "/home/mspiess/java/bin/")))

That's obviously a lot of stuff, some of which I don't completely
understand.  I would try commenting most/all out, and trying again.  If
it works, you can add stuff back gradually until you find a problem.

> The JDE help seems not to be available either btw. I always get:
> jde-show-help: Cannot find JDE help file.

That also works for me.

Matt Flaschen

@ 2007-03-26  7:54       ` Malte Spiess
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1442.1174903961.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Malte Spiess @ 2007-03-26  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sorry, no access to the computer during the weekend, but now I'm back!

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Malte Spiess wrote:
>> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

>> [...]
> That's obviously a lot of stuff, some of which I don't completely
> understand.  I would try commenting most/all out, and trying again.  If
> it works, you can add stuff back gradually until you find a problem.

Meanwhile I've tried it with Emacs 21 and this works. So it must be a
problem with the interaction between Emacs 22 and JDE.

>> The JDE help seems not to be available either btw. I always get:
>> jde-show-help: Cannot find JDE help file.
>
> That also works for me.

That doesn't work with Emacs 21 either. I don't know, just doesn't seem
to find the file.

Btw.: Interestingly in the user guide it says "Revised for JDEE 2.3.6"...

> Matt Flaschen

Well, thanks for your help, I hope they will fix the problems with Emacs
22 soon. (I suppose you use version 21?)

Greetings

@ 2007-03-26 10:10         ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]         ` <mailman.1442.1174903961.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Malte Spiess wrote:
> That doesn't work with Emacs 21 either. I don't know, just doesn't seem
> to find the file.

Strange.  I should mention that I installed JDE manually from
http://jdee.sunsite.dk/jde-latest.tar.gz (though probably not the
current version) .  If you're using the Debian package, they may have
removed the docs.

> Well, thanks for your help, I hope they will fix the problems with Emacs
> 22 soon. (I suppose you use version 21?)

Yes, 21.4.1.  I should have said earlier.

Best,

Matt Flaschen

@ 2007-03-26 11:17           ` Malte Spiess
From: Malte Spiess @ 2007-03-26 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Malte Spiess wrote:
>> That doesn't work with Emacs 21 either. I don't know, just doesn't seem
>> to find the file.
>
> Strange.  I should mention that I installed JDE manually from
> http://jdee.sunsite.dk/jde-latest.tar.gz (though probably not the
> current version) .  If you're using the Debian package, they may have
> removed the docs.

A, that explains a lot. I have found a bug report meanwhile:

The docu is there, only in the wrong place... since 3 years! But I will
probably make a symlink manually or something like that.

>> Well, thanks for your help, I hope they will fix the problems with Emacs
>> 22 soon. (I suppose you use version 21?)
>
> Yes, 21.4.1.  I should have said earlier.

Okay, no problem.

> Best,
>
> Matt Flaschen

Alright, so now I know what I'm at and can figure out some ways to solve
the problems with the Debian package and Emacs 22 (or maybe not ;-) ).

Thanks again

Malte