all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Jan Djärv" <jan.h.d@swipnet.se>
To: David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org>
Cc: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>, emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: getpwent, user-full-name and utf-8
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:17:05 +0100	[thread overview]

David Kastrup skrev:
> Jan Djärv <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:
>
>> David Kastrup skrev:

>>> That assumes that every user operates under the same locale, and that
>>> this locale agrees with the locale of the system files.  In particular
>>> on multi-user machines, that is not realistic.
>> Since users themselves can set their full name,
>
> Since when?
>
> Well, I took a look at the manual page of passwd(1) on my GNU/Linux
> system, and the description indeed says:
>
> 	passwd also changes account information, such as the full
> 	name of the user, the user's login shell, or his/her
> 	password expiry date and interval.
>
> Amusingly, however, there is no option for doing any of that except
> the password related stuff.
>
> There is, however,
>
> CHFN(1) -- 06/06/2006 -- User Commands

Yes that is what I meant.

> 	/etc/login.defs. (The default configuration is to prevent
> 	users from changing their fullname.)

> So with the default settings, a user can't change his settings.

Ok, I haven't seen that restriction before.

>> I'd think the user locale would be a good choice.
>
> It is not the worst choice, but I consider it likely that a better way
> would be something like a separate "system locale".  For lack of
> better information, one could let it default to the user locale, but
> it should be at least configurable separately.
>
> Does anybody have access to the X/Open or Posix specs?  Maybe
> something is said about this in there.

They don't say anything, they don't specify any passwd or chfn program.  The
description of <pwd.h> just says:

   The <pwd.h> header shall provide a definition for struct passwd, which shall
   include at least the following members:

   char    *pw_name   User's login name.

and that is about it.

I checked some of the machines I have accounts on, but no admin access to, and
they all use Latin-1 (which BTW is not my locale, UTF-8 is).  So some system
locale may not be a bad idea, but default UTF-8 is OK.

	Jan D.