all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* remembering a layout after reboot
@ 2007-03-02  7:23 Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-02  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I find my self visiting few files and setting up the frame / windows
in such a preferred way.
is there a way to remember this layout so next time I reboot or
restart emacs, I can just restore them?

thanks

* Re: remembering a layout after reboot
@ 2007-03-02  9:14 ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found] ` <mailman.307.1172826885.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-02  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Hi
>

> I find my self visiting few files and setting up the frame / windows
> in such a preferred way.
> is there a way to remember this layout so next time I reboot or
> restart emacs, I can just restore them?

Try desktop-save and desktop-read.

Setup everything the way you want then execute desktop-save.  Choose
your home directory.

Then, when you start emacs, you can execute desktop-read .  Or you can
put this in your ~/.emacs file.

Matthew Flaschen

@ 2007-03-02 10:45   ` Gary Wessle
       [not found]     ` <mailman.344.1172849135.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-02 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Gary Wessle wrote:
> > Hi
> >

> > I find my self visiting few files and setting up the frame / windows
> > in such a preferred way.
> > is there a way to remember this layout so next time I reboot or
> > restart emacs, I can just restore them?
>
> Try desktop-save and desktop-read.
>
> Setup everything the way you want then execute desktop-save.  Choose
> your home directory.
>
> Then, when you start emacs, you can execute desktop-read .  Or you can
> put this in your ~/.emacs file.

thanks,
I don't have desktop-save, I have desktop-read though.

* Re: remembering a layout after reboot
@ 2007-03-02 15:25     ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.344.1172849135.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-03-02 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs, Gary Wessle

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:
>
>> Gary Wessle wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>

>>> I find my self visiting few files and setting up the frame / windows
>>> in such a preferred way.
>>> is there a way to remember this layout so next time I reboot or
>>> restart emacs, I can just restore them?
>> Try desktop-save and desktop-read.
>>
>> Setup everything the way you want then execute desktop-save.  Choose
>> your home directory.
>>
>> Then, when you start emacs, you can execute desktop-read .  Or you can
>> put this in your ~/.emacs file.
>>

> thanks,
> I don't have desktop-save, I have desktop-read though.

Sorry.  Add:

; Desktop functions
(require 'desktop)

to your ~/.emacs .  Then restart emacs and try again.

Matt Flaschen

@ 2007-03-02 15:25 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-03-02 15:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gary Wessle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Gary Wessle wrote:
> Hi
>

> I find my self visiting few files and setting up the frame / windows
> in such a preferred way.
> is there a way to remember this layout so next time I reboot or
> restart emacs, I can just restore them?

For the layout within a frame (and the files visisted in the windows) I
did write an elisp package for that called winsav.el. I have not tested
it extensively though and I did not include routines for saving the data
to file.

The elisp file is her

   http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/elisp/

@ 2007-03-02 17:33       ` Gary Wessle
From: Gary Wessle @ 2007-03-02 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> Gary Wessle wrote:
> > Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> >> Try desktop-save and desktop-read.
> >>
> >> Setup everything the way you want then execute desktop-save.  Choose
> >> your home directory.
> >>
> >> Then, when you start emacs, you can execute desktop-read .  Or you can
> >> put this in your ~/.emacs file.
> >>

> > thanks,
> > I don't have desktop-save, I have desktop-read though.
>
> Sorry.  Add:
>
> ; Desktop functions
> (require 'desktop)
>
> to your ~/.emacs .  Then restart emacs and try again.

I did, it would save it fine, but when calling desktop-read, it only
visited one of the files and opened only one frame among many I had at
the time of desktop-save.

hummm

* Re: remembering a layout after reboot
@ 2007-03-02 20:09         ` Matthew Flaschen