all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Text property 'intangible and fontification
@ 2007-02-26 22:05 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-02-26 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

I think I noticed a problem with nxml-mode (not part of Emacs) and
fontification when an overlay has the property 'intangible. I am not
sure about what happens, but I believe that when such an overlay is over
text that nxml-mode wants to fontify then it fails and restarts again.
Emacs then grabs 99% of the CPU.

nxml-mode does its own fontification since it anyway parses the buffer
contents. What should fontification code do when there are some overlays
like this? Or text properties. Should it let bind
`inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t, or? What does other fontification
code do in Emacs?

* Re: Text property 'intangible and fontification
@ 2007-02-27  0:45 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-02-27  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> I think I noticed a problem with nxml-mode (not part of Emacs) and
> fontification when an overlay has the property 'intangible.

Since `intangible' is known to have many adverse effects, it's important to
describe this overlay: who made it, why, ...

> nxml-mode does its own fontification since it anyway parses the buffer
> contents. What should fontification code do when there are some overlays
> like this? Or text properties. Should it let bind
> inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t, or? What does other fontification code do
> in Emacs?

I strongly recommend to not touch `intangible' even with a ten foot pole.

* Re: Text property 'intangible and fontification
@ 2007-02-27  1:05   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2007-02-27  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> I think I noticed a problem with nxml-mode (not part of Emacs) and
>> fontification when an overlay has the property 'intangible.
>
> Since `intangible' is known to have many adverse effects, it's important to
> describe this overlay: who made it, why, ...

I made it. I removed it.

>> nxml-mode does its own fontification since it anyway parses the buffer
>> contents. What should fontification code do when there are some overlays
>> like this? Or text properties. Should it let bind
>> inhibit-point-motion-hooks' to t, or? What does other fontification code do
>> in Emacs?
>
> I strongly recommend to not touch `intangible' even with a ten foot pole.

Yes, it is not very well implemented as you might remember I thought
earlier. I was just looking for an advice how to handle it with
fontification.