all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-23  3:31 Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen
From: Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen @ 2007-02-23  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have a problem with Jabber and ERC.  At first I thought it was
jabber-specific, but since it also happens with ERC, it must be more
general:

When I sit idly in Emacs (or use firefox, for example), and touch
nothing in Emacs -- messages in ERC and Jabber does not show up, and I
get no notifications of any kind, in the mode line or echo area, or
anything.  Only when I touch a key (e.g. C-f) in Emacs do they come, all
at once.

How can this be?  And how can I fix this problem?

Thanks,
Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-23 13:57 ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2007-02-23 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen wrote:

> I have a problem with Jabber and ERC.  At first I thought it was
> jabber-specific, but since it also happens with ERC, it must be more
> general:
>
> When I sit idly in Emacs (or use firefox, for example), and touch
> nothing in Emacs -- messages in ERC and Jabber does not show up, and I
> get no notifications of any kind, in the mode line or echo area, or
> anything.  Only when I touch a key (e.g. C-f) in Emacs do they come, all
> at once.
>
> How can this be?  And how can I fix this problem?

I'd like to hook myself in here, too, as I'm experiencing the same
symptoms with compilation-mode on Emacs 22.0.93.1 (Linux, GTK).
There might be a relation to Henrik's problem.
Note that I have `compilation-scroll-output' set to t.

Output actually seems to keep appearing for a few moments after
the key stroke.

Have fun
----Daniel

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-23 15:14   ` Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.27.1172250518.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen @ 2007-02-23 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

>> When I sit idly in Emacs (or use firefox, for example), and touch
>> nothing in Emacs -- messages in ERC and Jabber does not show up, and I
>> get no notifications of any kind, in the mode line or echo area, or
>> anything.  Only when I touch a key (e.g. C-f) in Emacs do they come, all
>> at once.
>
> I'd like to hook myself in here, too, as I'm experiencing the same
> symptoms with compilation-mode on Emacs 22.0.93.1 (Linux, GTK). There
> might be a relation to Henrik's problem.

Just to add: I use the same Emacs version, 22.0.93.1.

> Output actually seems to keep appearing for a few moments after the
> key stroke.

And this is the same for me too.

--
Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-23 17:08     ` Daniel
       [not found]     ` <mailman.27.1172250518.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel @ 2007-02-23 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen wrote:

> Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:
>>> When I sit idly in Emacs (or use firefox, for example), and touch
>>> nothing in Emacs -- messages in ERC and Jabber does not show up, and I
>>> get no notifications of any kind, in the mode line or echo area, or
>>> anything.  Only when I touch a key (e.g. C-f) in Emacs do they come, all
>>> at once.
>> I'd like to hook myself in here, too, as I'm experiencing the same
>> symptoms with compilation-mode on Emacs 22.0.93.1 (Linux, GTK). There
>> might be a relation to Henrik's problem.
>
> Just to add: I use the same Emacs version, 22.0.93.1.
>
>> Output actually seems to keep appearing for a few moments after the
>> key stroke.
>
> And this is the same for me too.

For me, the culprit is cedet.

When investigating the thing a little more (in order to come up
with a minimal reproduction set), I found that compilation output
appears fluently until I load "cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el".

Henrik, do you use cedet, too?

I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.

If it does work afterward, do you think one should still file a
bug report, as the solution would require a non-released cedet
version?

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-23 17:30       ` Daniel
       [not found]       ` <mailman.28.1172251857.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel @ 2007-02-23 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel wrote:

> Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen wrote:

>>> I'd like to hook myself in here, too, as I'm experiencing the same
>>> symptoms with compilation-mode on Emacs 22.0.93.1 (Linux, GTK). There
>>> might be a relation to Henrik's problem.
>>
>> Just to add: I use the same Emacs version, 22.0.93.1.
>>
>>> Output actually seems to keep appearing for a few moments after the
>>> key stroke.
>>
>> And this is the same for me too.
>
> For me, the culprit is cedet.
>
> When investigating the thing a little more (in order to come up with a
> minimal reproduction set), I found that compilation output appears
> fluently until I load "cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el".
>
> Henrik, do you use cedet, too?
>
> I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
> that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.

The compilation output is fine with cedet from CVS as of today.

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
       [not found]     ` <mailman.27.1172250518.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-23 17:41       ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-23 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

> Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen wrote:

>>> I'd like to hook myself in here, too, as I'm experiencing the same
>>> symptoms with compilation-mode on Emacs 22.0.93.1 (Linux, GTK). There
>>> might be a relation to Henrik's problem.
>>
>> Just to add: I use the same Emacs version, 22.0.93.1.
>>
>>> Output actually seems to keep appearing for a few moments after the
>>> key stroke.
>>
>> And this is the same for me too.
>
> For me, the culprit is cedet.
>
> When investigating the thing a little more (in order to come up with a
> minimal reproduction set), I found that compilation output appears
> fluently until I load "cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el".
>
> Henrik, do you use cedet, too?
>
> I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
> that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.
>
> If it does work afterward, do you think one should still file a bug
> report, as the solution would require a non-released cedet version?

Same happens for me - and I have cedet loaded too. It jams output from
ecr and other eshell scripts I use.

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
       [not found]       ` <mailman.28.1172251857.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-23 18:49         ` Hadron
       [not found]           ` <mailman.31.1172261155.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-23 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

> Daniel wrote:
>
>> Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen wrote:

>>> Just to add: I use the same Emacs version, 22.0.93.1.

>>> And this is the same for me too.
>>
>> For me, the culprit is cedet.
>>
>> When investigating the thing a little more (in order to come up with
>> a minimal reproduction set), I found that compilation output appears
>> fluently until I load "cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el".
>>
>> Henrik, do you use cedet, too?
>>
>> I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
>> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
>> that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.
>
> The compilation output is fine with cedet from CVS as of today.

What modules? Or all of cedet? When I try to make it it says the makefile
is out of date. Any pointers appreciated.

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
       [not found]       ` <mailman.28.1172251857.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-23 19:40       ` Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen
From: Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen @ 2007-02-23 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> For me, the culprit is cedet.
>>
>> Henrik, do you use cedet, too?

Yes.  Well, actually I don't, but I load all the libraries, which
amounts to the same thing as far as this problem is concerned.

>> I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
>> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
>> that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.

Since I don't use CEDET for anything, I just uninstalled it.  And I can
confirm that everything works for me now, with no problems: I get output
from jabber immediately, even when idle.

> If it does work afterward, do you think one should still file a bug
> report, as the solution would require a non-released cedet version?

That sounds like a good idea.  And thanks for the help, Daniel!

--
Henrik Jegbjerg Hansen

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-23 20:05           ` Daniel
       [not found]           ` <mailman.31.1172261155.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel @ 2007-02-23 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron wrote:

> Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:
>
>> Daniel wrote:

>>> For me, the culprit is cedet.
>>>
>>> When investigating the thing a little more (in order to come up with
>>> a minimal reproduction set), I found that compilation output appears
>>> fluently until I load "cedet-1.0pre3/common/cedet.el".
>>>
>>> Henrik, do you use cedet, too?
>>>
>>> I found a message in the emacs-pretest-bug archives
>>> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-pretest-bug/2006-10/msg00013.html)
>>> that suggests installing cedet from CVS.  So I'll do just that.
>> The compilation output is fine with cedet from CVS as of today.
>
> What modules? Or all of cedet? When I try to make it it says the makefile
> is out of date. Any pointers appreciated.

Well, I used cedet-1.0pre3 before, so I pulled all of cedet from
CVS, into a clean directory.  There, make worked like a charm for
me (using Emacs 22.0.93).  What did you try, Hadron?

 From what I gathered from around the net it seems that the
semantic module is what's causing all the trouble.

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
       [not found]           ` <mailman.31.1172261155.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-23 20:39             ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-23 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

> Hadron wrote:
>
>> Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

>>> The compilation output is fine with cedet from CVS as of today.
>>
>> What modules? Or all of cedet? When I try to make it it says the makefile
>> is out of date. Any pointers appreciated.
>
> Well, I used cedet-1.0pre3 before, so I pulled all of cedet from CVS,
> into a clean directory.  There, make worked like a charm for me (using
> Emacs 22.0.93).  What did you try, Hadron?

The same, and I get this:

Makefile is out of date! It needs to be regenerated by EDE.

@ 2007-02-23 20:58               ` Jiri Pejchal
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.50.1172316912.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jiri Pejchal @ 2007-02-23 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:

> The same, and I get this:
>
> Makefile is out of date! It needs to be regenerated by EDE.

Try

find -name Makefile -exec touch "{}" \;

from cedet directory. Cedet should compile then fine.

--
Jiri Pejchal

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
@ 2007-02-24 11:35                 ` Daniel
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.50.1172316912.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel @ 2007-02-24 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jiri Pejchal wrote:

> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> The same, and I get this:
>>
>> Makefile is out of date! It needs to be regenerated by EDE.
>>

> Try
>
> find -name Makefile -exec touch "{}" \;
>
> from cedet directory. Cedet should compile then fine.

Just to get this right:  Is this about building cedet itself or
building another project with EDE-controlled Makefile?

* Re: Emacs not redisplaying
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.50.1172316912.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-24 12:58                   ` Hadron
From: Hadron @ 2007-02-24 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <daniel@warum-ada.de> writes:

> Jiri Pejchal wrote:
>
>> Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> The same, and I get this:
>>>
>>> Makefile is out of date! It needs to be regenerated by EDE.
>>>

>> Try
>>
>> find -name Makefile -exec touch "{}" \;
>>
>> from cedet directory. Cedet should compile then fine.
>
> Just to get this right:  Is this about building cedet itself or
> building another project with EDE-controlled Makefile?

Building cedet itself. The touch did it (+I had to install texinfo).

Thanks guys : problem of screen buffering is now solved.