all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* newbie: emacs21 and cperl-mode
@ 2007-02-23  6:34 Matthew.Pettis
       [not found] ` <mailman.15.1172214317.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew.Pettis @ 2007-02-23  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am doing this on Ubuntu-6.10... installed emacs21 via synaptic...

I tried switching to cperl-mode (M-x cperl-mode), and the status bar
(I think it's called) tells me I am in cperl mode, but there is no
syntax highlighting, and none of the automatic expansions work.
Actually, perl-mode does nothing as well...

I looked at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CPerlMode#CPerlMode1,
and it tells me to add some lines to my ~/.emacs file (or ~./xemacs
or ./.xemacs/init.el), none of which exist for me.

Do I need to create these, or should they be there?  If I need to
create one, which one should I create?  Is this missing file probably
the cause of why nothing works?

* Re: newbie: emacs21 and cperl-mode
@ 2007-02-23  7:05 ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found] ` <mailman.15.1172214317.7795.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-02-23  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew.Pettis@gmail.com, emacs

Matthew.Pettis@gmail.com wrote:

> Do I need to create these, or should they be there?

You need to create ~/.emacs .  Make sure you also set
global-font-lock-mode true.  To do this, type Meta-x customize-variable
global-font-lock-mode .  Then, toggle it to non-nil, and click Save for
future sessions.

Matthew Flaschen

@ 2007-02-23 18:12   ` Matthew.Pettis
From: Matthew.Pettis @ 2007-02-23 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

this worked!  my syntax highlighting for perl-mode and cperl-mode both
work... thanks!

matt