all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ed Emulator Mode
@ 2007-02-21  2:20 Matthew Flaschen
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-02-21  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs

I thought about this once before, but the recent discussion about
viper/vimpact reminded me.  Has anyone made an ed-mode, as in an
emulator for ed, THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR
(http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html).  I just thought it might be
a fun way to learn some emacs lisp.

Does anyone know if this has been done?

So far, I intend to show the file/buffer being edited in one window, and
the ed "interface" in the other window.  A couple other things I'm
wondering:

How do I locally override ALL keys, like a wildcard?  I need to reject
all invalid keys with ? in command mode, so I thought it would best to
reject all, then selectively allow valid keys.  I think this will also
keep them from trying to manipulate the interface manually?

Is there some mode/function that's really worth overriding?  I thought
about it, but I figured it would be best done from scratch, (as a minor
mode?).  I'm still kind of vague on this, though.

Any other ideas welcome. :)

Matthew Flaschen

* Re: Ed Emulator Mode
@ 2007-02-21  8:35 ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2007-02-21  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Flaschen; +Cc: emacs

Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen@gatech.edu> writes:

> How do I locally override ALL keys, like a wildcard?

You can specify a default binding (event = t).

`(t . BINDING)'
     This specifies a "default key binding"; any event not bound by
     other elements of the keymap is given BINDING as its binding.
     Default bindings allow a keymap to bind all possible event types
     without having to enumerate all of them.  A keymap that has a
     default binding completely masks any lower-precedence keymap,
     except for events explicitly bound to `nil' (see below).

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

* Re: Ed Emulator Mode
@ 2007-02-21  9:03   ` Matthew Flaschen