I thought about this once before, but the recent discussion about viper/vimpact reminded me. Has anyone made an ed-mode, as in an emulator for ed, THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR (http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/ed.msg.html). I just thought it might be a fun way to learn some emacs lisp. Does anyone know if this has been done? So far, I intend to show the file/buffer being edited in one window, and the ed "interface" in the other window. A couple other things I'm wondering: How do I locally override ALL keys, like a wildcard? I need to reject all invalid keys with ? in command mode, so I thought it would best to reject all, then selectively allow valid keys. I think this will also keep them from trying to manipulate the interface manually? Is there some mode/function that's really worth overriding? I thought about it, but I figured it would be best done from scratch, (as a minor mode?). I'm still kind of vague on this, though. Any other ideas welcome. :) Matthew Flaschen