all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Possible bugs with indentation in html mode
@ 2007-02-16 23:31 Angela Bellavance
From: Angela Bellavance @ 2007-02-16 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm editing HTML code using emacs and I'm noticing
some strange behavior with the indentation.
I can hit TAB on elements like "<table>" and "<tr>"
and "<td>", and emacs will happily indent each by
two spaces relative to the container tag, ending the
additional space when it finds the corresponding
closing tag. However, it does not handle single tags
well (e.g. "<br>", "<meta...>", etc.). Emacs adds
the two-space indentation following one of these
single tags and will not decrement the indentation
unless a closing tag is found for some surrounding
set of tags.

Is there any chance of fixing this behavior?

I had one other question as well. Is there any way
to make the indentation behavior follow the
"relative to previous line" rule?  Personally, I
don't always want the addition of two spaces of
indentation added every time I open a tag set. For
example, I would prefer something like this:

<head>
<title>
</title>
</head>
<h1>This is my title</h1>

But if I TAB-indent the above HTML using Emacs, I
get this:

   <head>
     <title>
     </title>
   </head>
     <h1>This is my title</h1>

When I've got nested tables with large cell
contents, having every line indented those extra
several spaces can really be a pain....

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

- Angela

--
Dr. Angela Bellavance
Fermilab Computing Division

* Re: Possible bugs with indentation in html mode
       [not found] <mailman.4635.1171668686.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-02-17  4:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-02-17  4:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm editing HTML code using emacs and I'm noticing some strange behavior
> with the indentation.

Emacs does not come with an HTML mode that provides indentation (unless
you're using a development version such as the soon-to-be-released
Emacs-22).  There are several packages out there that provide an HTML mode
with indentation.  So please tell us which HTML mode you're using.

> will happily indent each by two spaces relative to the container tag,
> ending the additional space when it finds the corresponding closing tag.
> However, it does not handle single tags well (e.g. "<br>", "<meta...>",
> etc.).  Emacs adds the two-space indentation following one of these single
> tags and will not decrement the indentation unless a closing tag is found
> for some surrounding set of tags.

I believe the Emacs-22 HTML mode does handle those special tags correctly,
so I presume this is another mode you're talking about.

* Re: Possible bugs with indentation in html mode
@ 2007-02-17  5:57   ` Angela Bellavance
From: Angela Bellavance @ 2007-02-17  5:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I guess technically I am using XEmacs (version
21.4.19), not emacs.
- Angela

@ 2007-02-17  6:37     ` Matthew Flaschen
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4641.1171694271.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Matthew Flaschen @ 2007-02-17  6:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angela Bellavance, emacs

Angela Bellavance wrote:
> I guess technically I am using XEmacs (version 21.4.19), not emacs.
> - Angela

Then don't post to help-*gnu-emacs*.  GNU Emacs is produced by the GNU
Project (http://www.gnu.org/). XEmacs (http://www.xemacs.org/) is a fork
of GNU Emacs.  In case you don't know GNU Emacs runs on X Windows.

Matthew Flaschen

* Re: Possible bugs with indentation in html mode
@ 2007-02-17 16:55     ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4641.1171694271.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-02-17 16:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Angela Bellavance; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> I guess technically I am using XEmacs (version 21.4.19), not emacs.

Then check comp.emacs or comp.emacs.xemacs.  The group/list you used is
specifically for Emacs.

@ 2007-02-17 16:58       ` RealityMonster
From: RealityMonster @ 2007-02-17 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 16, 11:37 pm, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flasc...@gatech.edu>
wrote:
> Angela Bellavance wrote:
> > I guess technically I am using XEmacs (version 21.4.19), not emacs.
> > - Angela
>
> Then don't post to help-*gnu-emacs*.  GNU Emacs is produced by the GNU
> Project (http://www.gnu.org/). XEmacs (http://www.xemacs.org/) is a fork
> of GNU Emacs.  In case you don't know GNU Emacs runs on X Windows.
>
> Matthew Flaschen
>
>  signature.asc
> 1KDownload

No, post here if you like, and just keep in mind that we might not be
able to help with specific XEmacs-isms, or some things might be a bit
fiddly. Quite a lot of stuff is the same -- precisely because XEmacs
is a fork -- so you can find some good answers here.

And both XEmacs and GNU Emacs run on most UNIX and Windows systems.
You don't require X Windows at all.

JS