all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Patrik Jonsson <patrik@ucolick.org>
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Extra character 194 appearing in network stream
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 16:53:06 -0800	[thread overview]

Hi all,

I'm maintaining Emacs Voice Recognition mode, a module which connects
emacs to Dragon Naturallyspeaking and enables dictation and editing by
voice in emacs buffers. Now I'm trying to figure out why it's broken on
recent versions of emacs.

The emacs code sends buffer info over a network stream to
naturallyspeaking. This is opened with open-network-stream and then
stuff is sent with process-send-string. The problem appears to be that
with irregular intervals, emacs decides to insert a character 194 into
the stream, which wreaks havoc with the comm protocol. It often shows up
in the middle of a send, ie I try to send integer 172 in network format
as chars 0 0 0 172, and what I get at the other end is 0 0 0 194 172.  I
tried setting the coding system explicitly to no-conversion, thinking
that it might be the problem, but it did not help.

I'm sure there are experts here that can tell me why this might be
happening, because at this point I'm stumped. I'm positive this was not
a problem in emacs 20, but it now happens very frequently in 23.0.

Regards,

/Patrik J.