Richard Stallman wrote: > Incidentally, most of the multiple X display support comes from the > trunk, so the bug is reproducible there as well. It is unlikely to > occur in normal usage, though: the trunk does not normally disconnect > from an X server, while the multi-tty branch disconnects immediately > when the last frame is deleted. It is the act of disconnection that > triggers the GTK crash. > > That answers my question. > > One possible work-around would be not to disconnect from an X server. > > Can someone change the multi-tty branch so that, when built with GTK, > it does not try to disconnect? Then it could support multiple X > terminals with GTK as well as the current version does. This obstacle > to merging in the multi-tty branch would be gone. I will do that. (Disconnections can not be prevented entirely, though: Emacs/GTK crashes on both branches if a server connection is cut or a server crashes. In some use cases, this happens regularly, by design: e.g., if the user runs emacsclient to create a frame on an ssh-forwarded remote X server, then later logs out from the ssh session, the server connection is closed, unintentionally SEGVing the Emacs process. I think we should document this in PROBLEMS.) -- Karoly