all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 18:17 Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-02-01 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, group,

I have a long one-line code and it is out of screen with a right-arrow
at the end of the screen. How to re-bound this line to 2 lines? Thank.

Vol

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 18:24 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2007-02-01 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <1170353853.201265.192940@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Vols wrote:
> I have a long one-line code and it is out of screen with a right-arrow
> at the end of the screen. How to re-bound this line to 2 lines? Thank.
Is M-x auto-fill-mode what you are looking for?
--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 18:42   ` Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-02-01 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In my code, I have one line which is very long, for example, this line
has 500 words. Emacs only shows 100 words on one screen and I have to
move the cursor back to see all the other 400 words. I want emacs to
show all the 500 words in one screen.
auot-fill-mode looks not working.

Vol
On Feb 1, 10:24 am, Maarten Bergvelt <b...@math.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> In article <1170353853.201265.192...@l53g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,Vols wrote:
> > I have a long one-line code and it is out of screen with a right-arrow
> > at the end of the screen. How to re-bound this line to 2 lines? Thank.
>
> Is M-x auto-fill-mode what you are looking for?
> --
> Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 18:59     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2007-02-01 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vols wrote:
> In my code, I have one line which is very long, for example, this line
> has 500 words. Emacs only shows 100 words on one screen and I have to
> move the cursor back to see all the other 400 words. I want emacs to
> show all the 500 words in one screen.
> auot-fill-mode looks not working.

i reckon there are no spaces in that line?

try (setq truncate-lines nil).

C-h v truncate-lines RET for more details.

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 19:37       ` HS
From: HS @ 2007-02-01 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1 fev, 15:59, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Vols wrote:
> > In my code, I have one line which is very long, for example, this line
> > has 500 words. Emacs only shows 100 words on one screen and I have to
> > move the cursor back to see all the other 400 words. I want emacs to
> > show all the 500 words in one screen.
> > auot-fill-mode looks not working.
>
> i reckon there are no spaces in that line?
>
> try (setq truncate-lines nil).
>
> C-h v truncate-lines RET for more details.
>
> --
> Joost Kremers                                      joostkrem...@yahoo.com
> Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
> EN:SiS(9)

If you want to actually insert newlines into your text, use fill-
paragraph (or auto-fill).
If you just want to see the lines then "> try (setq truncate-lines
nil)". This will make long lines span over several "screen lines",
accordingly to screen width..

cheers,
hs

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 19:44 ` Daniel Rubin
From: Daniel Rubin @ 2007-02-01 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vols; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Vols wrote:

> Hi, group,
>
> I have a long one-line code and it is out of screen with a right-arrow
> at the end of the screen. How to re-bound this line to 2 lines? Thank.

M-x toggle-truncate-lines

But couldn't you use backslash line continuations? Makes sensible
grouping possible in your one-liner.

Have fun
----Daniel

> Vol

Daniel Rubin
daniel@warum-ada.de

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 19:47         ` Vols
From: Vols @ 2007-02-01 19:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks. It works with  adding   "(setq truncate-lines nil)"
but after I use 'C-x 3' to create two frames, the 'truncation' doesn't
work for either frame.

Vol

On Feb 1, 11:37 am, "HS" <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1 fev, 15:59, Joost Kremers <joostkrem...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Vols wrote:
> > > In my code, I have one line which is very long, for example, this line
> > > has 500 words. Emacs only shows 100 words on one screen and I have to
> > > move the cursor back to see all the other 400 words. I want emacs to
> > > show all the 500 words in one screen.
> > > auot-fill-mode looks not working.
>
> > i reckon there are no spaces in that line?
>
> > try (setq truncate-lines nil).
>
> > C-h v truncate-lines RET for more details.

> > --
> > Joost Kremers                                      joostkrem...@yahoo.com
> > Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
> > EN:SiS(9)
>
> If you want to actually insert newlines into your text, use fill-
> paragraph (or auto-fill).
> If you just want to see the lines then "> try (setq truncate-lines
> nil)". This will make long lines span over several "screen lines",
> accordingly to screen width..
>
> cheers,
> hs

* Re: How to re-bound a long line
@ 2007-02-01 20:16           ` HS
From: HS @ 2007-02-01 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 1 fev, 16:47, "Vols" <volunte...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. It works with  adding   "(setq truncate-lines nil)"
> but after I use 'C-x 3' to create two frames, the 'truncation' doesn't
> work for either frame.
>
> Vol
>
> On Feb 1, 11:37 am, "HS" <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > i reckon there are no spaces in that line?
>
> > > try (setq truncate-lines nil).
>
> > > C-h v truncate-lines RET for more details.
>
> > > --
> > > Joost Kremers                                      joostkrem...@yahoo.com
> > > Selbst in die Unterwelt dringt durch Spalten Licht
> > > EN:SiS(9)
>
> > If you want to actually insert newlines into your text, use fill-
> > paragraph (or auto-fill).
> > If you just want to see the lines then "> try (setq truncate-lines
> > nil)". This will make long lines span over several "screen lines",
> > accordingly to screen width..
>
> > cheers,
> > hs

Note that this is overridden by the variable
`truncate-partial-width-windows' if that variable is non-nil
and this buffer is not full-frame width.

(you got to make use of emacs documentation features. The info above
is from C-h v on truncate-lines)

Regards
HS