all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Need help customizing "TAB" for HTML
@ 2007-01-26  0:21 Angela Bellavance
From: Angela Bellavance @ 2007-01-26  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am using emacs to create HTML documents and am getting frustrated with
the default settings for TAB. When I type TAB to indent a line, it
always seems to add at least two spaces more than the indent on the
previous line. This occurs even when the previous line contains only one
tag that does not have a matching closing tag. I would prefer that TAB
would line up under the start of the previous line unless I have left a
tag open. Ideally this would happen even if I manually adjust where the
previous line is indented to.

Here's an example. Here's what it looks like when I use the default TAB
in HTML-mode on the following text:

   <head>
   </head>
     <h1>Shift Guide</h1>

I would like it to look like this:

   <head>
   </head>
     <h1>CDF SAM Shift Guide</h1>

Or even better, this:

<head>
</head>
   <h1>CDF SAM Shift Guide</h1>

where I have manually moved the tag "<head>" back to the beginning of
the line and used TAB to align the rest of the lines.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Angela

* Re: Need help customizing "TAB" for HTML
       [not found] <mailman.3610.1169770885.2155.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-01-26  5:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-01-26  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I am using emacs to create HTML documents and am getting frustrated with the
> default settings for TAB. When I type TAB to indent a line, it always seems
> to add at least two spaces more than the indent on the previous line. This
> occurs even when the previous line contains only one tag that does not have
> a matching closing tag. I would prefer that TAB would line up under the
> start of the previous line unless I have left a tag open. Ideally this would
> happen even if I manually adjust where the previous line is indented to.

I believe that the HTML mode in Emacs-CVS (expected to become Emacs-22) does
just that.

* Re: Need help customizing "TAB" for HTML
@ 2007-01-26 20:39   ` Angela Bellavance
From: Angela Bellavance @ 2007-01-26 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

That would be wonderful! Is there any way I can add the functionality to
my current version of emacs (since I do not have permission to update
the entire thing)?

Thanks,
Angela

@ 2007-01-27  1:20     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2007-01-27  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Angela Bellavance; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> That would be wonderful! Is there any way I can add the functionality to my
> current version of emacs (since I do not have permission to update the
> entire thing)?

You can try to use the file in emacs/lisp/textmodes/sgml-mode.el that you
can find by browsing the CVS sources repository on
http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs.  I can't guarantee that it works
with Emacs-21.4, but I do remember it working correctly at some point in
the past.

If you encounter a specific problem, post it here and we'll see how to fix
it,

* Re: Need help customizing "TAB" for HTML
@ 2007-01-27  1:47     ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-01-27  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 14:39:26 -0600 Angela Bellavance wrote:

> That would be wonderful! Is there any way I can add the
> functionality to my current version of emacs (since I do not
> have permission to update the entire thing)?

If you have sufficient disc space available you install emacs
in your $HOME.

David