Juanma Barranquero wrote: > (defun my-exclude-file-from-backup (&optional file) > (interactive (list (read-file-name "File to exclude: " nil nil t > buffer-file-name))) > (my-exclude-from-backup (expand-file-name file))) > Thanks. I did take the time to look around before, and found (interactive), but couldn't get it to work. I'm struggling to learn lisp. It's so different from the whole C/C++/Java tradition. However, I changed it to: (defun my-exclude-file-from-backup (&optional file) (interactive (list (read-file-name "File to exclude: " "" nil t buffer-file-name))) (my-exclude-from-backup (expand-file-name file))) Your code was making it show like: /data/Documents//data/Documents/Reason.txt I.E. directory *then* full file name. Changing the default directory to the empty string fixed that. However, this also excludes other files containing the full path. Thus, for exampled, if I excluded: /data/Documents/cool.c It will also exclude /data/Documents/cool.cpp I don't know enough regex to fix that. Matthew Flaschen