all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Working with different projects in Emacs
@ 2009-04-08 18:10 grischka
From: grischka @ 2009-04-08 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: damian.only; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I work in several projects. Every project has a list of files
 > associated to it (for instance several source code files or latex
 > files). I would like that every time I start working in one of these
 > projects, all the files could be found quickly without specifying the
 > whole path.

eproject does stuff like this:
http://tromey.com/elpa/eproject-0.2.tar

Basically eproject manages a list of projects, where a project
is a list of files and a list of commands and is associated
with a directory.

If you open a project you get a menu with the files and it will
load the last viewed one.

You also get a menu for tool commands that can be fired with
one mouse-click or a keystroke. (can be just "make" but as well
anything else, typically stuff that you would not want to
remember when you revisit a project after some months)

Swiching projects is easy and fast, two mouse clicks or three
keystrokes.  You can do something in one project, then switch
to another, do something there, and then switch back as if
you'd never left.

eproject has a text menu where you can "quick search" an
item (e.g. file) by pressing the first letter(s). It
works on terminals too.

All lists can be edited on the fly in the text menu.  The
data itself is stored per project in a file "eproject.cfg".
The project list is stored in "~/.emacs.d/eproject.lst".

eproject does not generate makefiles or anything like that.

--- grischka

* Working with different projects in Emacs
@ 2009-04-08 12:50 Damian
From: Damian @ 2009-04-08 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I work in several projects. Every project has a list of files
associated to it (for instance several source code files or latex
files). I would like that every time I start working in one of these
projects, all the files could be found quickly without specifying the
whole path.

The filesets almost serve this purpose, but the problem is that they
open all the files in the fileset, and I just want to be able to
auto-complete its filename (when I open a file using C-x C-f).

File cache is not an option, since I need several "caches" for each
project and I don't want to load them all when emacs starts.

And I'm unable to understand Icicles documentation (and Icicles is
more powerful than the tool I'm looking for).

Until now, I was able to find a solution for every problem (in the
good sense) in emacs, but for this one I cannot find one.

What can I do?

Thanks,
Damian.