all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* widget-move-and-invoke
@ 2006-09-28 16:10 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-09-28 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

When in a customization buffer I mouse-click on a "Show Value" or "More"
button and point is somewhere in the lower part of the window, chances
are that Emacs recenters the window.  As a consequence, the text I want
to view may end up before `window-start' and the mouse cursor appear at
a completely unrelated position.  That's annoying.

Emacs 21 did bind down-mouse-1 to `Custom-move-and-invoke'.  In 2005 the
latter was replaced by `widget-move-and-invoke' and in 2006 by
`widget-button-click'.  Are there any good reasons for this regression?

* Re: widget-move-and-invoke
@ 2006-09-29  2:14 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-09-29  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    When in a customization buffer I mouse-click on a "Show Value" or "More"
    button and point is somewhere in the lower part of the window, chances
    are that Emacs recenters the window.  As a consequence, the text I want
    to view may end up before `window-start' and the mouse cursor appear at
    a completely unrelated position.  That's annoying.

Can you come up with a reproducible test case?

* Re: widget-move-and-invoke
@ 2006-09-29  7:45   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-09-29  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

With emacs -Q do

M-x customize-group RET editing-basics RET

Position window on customization buffer such that the line reading

    "Mode Require Final Newline: Hide Value Value Menu When saving"

is the first option following the start of the window, and the line

    "Next Line Add Newlines: Hide Value Toggle  off (nil)"

is the last option before the end of the window.

Move point to the beginning of the line

    "Next Line Add Newlines: Hide Value Toggle  off (nil)"

Do down-mouse-1 on the "More" button of

    "Whether to add a newline at end of file, in certain major modes. More"

near the top of the window.  My Emacs recenters the window on the line
where point appears and the first option visible in the window becomes

    "Mark Ring Max: Hide Value 16"

The option

    "Mode Require Final Newline: Hide Value Value Menu When saving"

including its documentation is no more visible in the window.