all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* shell-quote-argument bug on w32
@ 2006-09-25 13:41 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-25 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

shell-quote-argument actually is an "os quote argument". It does not
check what shell is actually used. This is a bug in my opinion, but you
notice it mostly on w32 where different shells are actually used.

I think therefore that shell-quote-argument should check shell-file-name
at least when system-type is 'windows-nt. My suggestion for fixing this
is introducing a variable like below and do the needed changes to
`shell-quote-argument':

(defcustom shell-quote-types
  '( ("cmdproxy" w32cmd) )
  "Type of quoting to use for inferior shell.
A list of cons cells where the car of each cell is a regexp that
is matched against `shell-file-name' by
`shell-quote-argument'. When a match is found the corresponding
quoting type given by the cdr of the cons cell is used."
  :type '(repeat (list regexp symbol))
  :group 'shell)