CHENG Gao wrote: > *On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 21:58:48 -0400 > * Richard Stallman climbed out of the dark hell and cried out: > > >> Emacs ought to recognize ~/.emacs.d/init.el, on any system, when it does >> not find .emacs. If this does not work on Windows, it is a bug. >> Could you confirm that that is what is happening to you? >> > > I use ~/.emacs.d/init.el under M$ Windoze and MacOSX, thus I can put all > Emacs related setting files in one ./emacs.d/ file. I confirm this works > well under two OSes above mentioned. > The case found by the original poster is when $HOME is not set in the environment. In Emacs 22 we default to the user specific APPDATA system directory, but we first check that C:\.emacs and C:\_emacs do not exist, in case the user used a previous version of Emacs that defaulted to C:\. The original poster had created C:\.emacs.d\init.el, but we do not check for this file when deciding whether to default to the old HOME location, since it is only supported since Emacs 22.