all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-11 22:36 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-09-11 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

I think there is a problem with the splash screen and gnuclient/server.
I do not know if this problem exists with emacsclient/server, but it
would be good if someone tested. Below is a description from a message
in help-emacs-windows. I believe this is enough to describe the problem.
I have tested this with

   In GNU Emacs 22.0.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195)

Here is a copy of the message:
Denny Wright (dennyw) wrote:
> Hi Lennart,
>
> Thanks for your response. I've trimmed down my .emacs/.viper files to
> the minimim that I think I need to get viper working. So they look like:
>
> ~/.emacs:
> ;; load viper
> (setq viper-mode t)
> (require 'viper)
>
> ~/.viper:
> (setq viper-inhibit-startup-message 't)
> (setq viper-expert-level '5)
>

> For example, I open a .txt file (bound to gnuclientw) from the Desktop,
> Emacs comes up, shows the EmacsW32 splash page, and then the .txt file.
> The status bar shows (V). I try the 'j' & 'k' movement keys and it
> inserts characters. The odd thing now, is that I'm trying this as I type
> this email in Outlook, so I'm switching back and forth and reopening the
> file. In one test, I opened the file, switched to Outlook, switched back
> and it worked?!? It seems like there was a delay in processing/entering
> viper-mode. That may be why C-z or M-x viper-mode doesn't fix it
> immediately and it seems like playing around with M-x does. I'm guessing
> that whatever is causing the delay finally completes (5-10 seconds or
> so).
> Here is the *Messages* buffer after it starts working correctly.
>
> (C:\Program Files\Emacs\emacs\bin\emacs.exe --load=C:/Program
> Files/Emacs/EmacsW32/bin/gnuservauto.el)
> Adding c:/Program Files/Emacs/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load-path
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p. [4
> times]
> forward-sentence: End of buffer
> For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.
> Auto-saving...done
>
> My first thought was gnuserv or viper mode, but I get the two "GNU
> Project" messages while its still inserting characters. Is there some
> other background process that's running?
>
> Thanks
> Denny

Hi Denny,

Thanks for testing. I can reproduce the error here now. I will try to
look into it.

It seems like this has something to do with the splash screen. If I turn
off the splash screen the problem disappears.

To turn off it do

   M-x customize-option RET
   Customize variable: inhibit-splash-screen

and then set inhibit-splash-screen to "on" and save the value.

Does the problem disappear for you if you do this?

* Re: Splash screen and gnuserv
@ 2006-09-13 10:01 LENNART BORGMAN
From: LENNART BORGMAN @ 2006-09-13 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Chong Yidong, Emacs Devel

From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:09 am
Subject: Re: Splash screen and gnuserv

> > Nearly, but not quite. If the splash screen is active when
> gnuserv
> > recieves the command to open a new file then something strange
> > happens. The new file is shown, but the mode line shows the
> brackets
> > (like [(Emacs-Lisp hs)] for recursive editing. There is a 'V' on
> the
> > modeline so Viper should be in vi mode.

> Have you tested it by starting Emacs, then after the splash screen
> comes
> up using gnuclient? Or are you only testing the case when
> gnuclient
> invokes Emacs because gnuserv was not running? The latter case
> will not
> be reproducable with emacsclient, since it does not start Emacs in
> that
> case. I wonder if the problem is only occuring when the gnuclient
> command comes during init BEFORE the splash screen is shown, which
> will
> be difficult to reproduce with emacsclient.

I started Emacs first (but using gnuclient for this too without any file parameter) and called gnuclient (again but now with a file parameter) when Emacs shows the splash screen.