all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: How to scroll other window backwards? C-M-v does forwards
       [not found] <2f1f9c14-8cdb-4507-aa1a-a2a8d72f0763@5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-07-04 14:50 ` Michael Jahn
From: Michael Jahn @ 2010-07-04 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel schrieb:
> Hello,
>
> I think that the control + meta + v function is great.  However, is
> there a way to scroll the other window's file backwards without having
> to leave my current window?
>
> Thank you!

Hi,
this is done with scroll-other-window.

,----[ C-h f scroll-other-window RET ]
| scroll-other-window is an interactive built-in function in `C source code'.
| It is bound to <M-next>, C-M-v, ESC <next>.
| (scroll-other-window &optional arg)
|
| Scroll next window upward arg lines; or near full screen if no arg.
| A near full screen is `next-screen-context-lines' less than a full screen.
| The next window is the one below the current one; or the one at the top
| if the current one is at the bottom.  Negative arg means scroll downward.
| If arg is the atom `-', scroll downward by nearly full screen.
| When calling from a program, supply as argument a number, nil, or `-'.
|
| If `other-window-scroll-buffer' is non-nil, scroll the window
| showing that buffer, popping the buffer up if necessary.
| If in the minibuffer, `minibuffer-scroll-window' if non-nil
| specifies the window to scroll.  This takes precedence over
| `other-window-scroll-buffer'.
`----

from my .emacs.el :

(defun scroll-other-window-up ()
  "Scroll the other window one line up."
  (interactive)
  (scroll-other-window -1)
)
(defun scroll-other-window-down ()
  "Scroll the other window one line down."
  (interactive)
  (scroll-other-window 1)
)
(global-set-key [C-M-S-up] 'scroll-other-window-up)
(global-set-key [C-M-S-down] 'scroll-other-window-down)

See also:
Finding a Command's Name or Keyboard Shortcut
http://xahlee.org/emacs/emacs_int.html

Micha

@ 2010-07-04 15:02 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2010-07-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* 2010-07-03 22:50 (-0700), Daniel wrote:

> I think that the control + meta + v function is great. However, is
> there a way to scroll the other window's file backwards without having
> to leave my current window?

Add Shift key to that key combination.

    C-M-S-v runs the command scroll-other-window-down, which is an
    interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple.el'.

    It is bound to <M-prior>, C-M-S-v, ESC <prior>.

    (scroll-other-window-down LINES)

    Scroll the "other window" down.
    For more details, see the documentation for `scroll-other-window'.

@ 2010-07-04 15:40 ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2010-07-04 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <unagimiyagi@gmail.com> writes:

> I think that the control + meta + v function is great.  However, is
> there a way to scroll the other window's file backwards without having
> to leave my current window?

>  C-M-v runs the command scroll-other-window, which is an interactive
>  built-in function in `C source code'.
>
>  It is bound to <M-next>, C-M-v, ESC <next>.
>
>  (scroll-other-window &optional ARG)
>
>  Scroll next window upward ARG lines; or near full screen if no ARG.
>  A near full screen is `next-screen-context-lines' less than a full screen.
>  The next window is the one below the current one; or the one at the top
>  if the current one is at the bottom.  Negative ARG means scroll downward.
>  If ARG is the atom `-', scroll downward by nearly full screen.
>  When calling from a program, supply as argument a number, nil, or `-'.
>
>  If `other-window-scroll-buffer' is non-nil, scroll the window
>  showing that buffer, popping the buffer up if necessary.
>  If in the minibuffer, `minibuffer-scroll-window' if non-nil
>  specifies the window to scroll.  This takes precedence over
>  `other-window-scroll-buffer'.

So a negative prefix is all you need.

* Re: How to scroll other window backwards? C-M-v does forwards
@ 2010-07-04 18:16   ` Daniel
From: Daniel @ 2010-07-04 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I must be confused.  I want to scroll the other window both up and
down.  I can scroll the other window down, but not up.

control + meta + v scrolls the other window down.
control + meta + shift + v does not scroll the other window up, as
someone suggested.

Could someone tell me if it's possible to scroll the other window up?

Thanks!

* Re: How to scroll other window backwards? C-M-v does forwards
@ 2010-07-04 18:31     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2010-07-04 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Daniel <unagimiyagi@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I must be confused.  I want to scroll the other window both up and
> down.  I can scroll the other window down, but not up.
>
> control + meta + v scrolls the other window down.
> control + meta + shift + v does not scroll the other window up, as
> someone suggested.
>
> Could someone tell me if it's possible to scroll the other window up?

Yes, it's possible.

Try, for example, "C-u -40 C-M-v".

Does that help?