all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Past appointments
@ 2011-04-02 16:08 Bastian Ballmann
From: Bastian Ballmann @ 2011-04-02 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I am searching for the feature that appt alerts me on past appointments
that I may have missed.
Any hint or link or elisp snippet on how to do that?
TIA && have a nice day!

Basti

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Past appointments
       [not found] <mailman.2.1301860254.14368.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-04-04 14:30 ` Lowell Gilbert
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1301937878.24257.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2011-04-04 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastian Ballmann <balle@chaostal.de> writes:

> I am searching for the feature that appt alerts me on past appointments
> that I may have missed.
> Any hint or link or elisp snippet on how to do that?
> TIA && have a nice day!

In the past, I have used fancy diary entries to display for a particular
day but after that, continue displaying until I removed them.  An
example I have sitting around:

&%%(let ((dayname (calendar-day-of-week date))
         (year (nth 2 date))
          (day (nth 1 date))
           (month (nth 0 date)))
            (and (= month 4)
                  (>= day 22)
                        (= year 2010)
                              (equal (calendar-current-date) date))) pick up suit
&Apr 22, 2008 5pm suit is ready

These days, though, I use org-mode, which has better support for
tracking events (as opposed to dates).  I still use diary for things
like birthdays.  I think there are some other scheduling packages around
with other capabilities, but I can't find any pointers at this moment.

* Re: Past appointments
@ 2011-04-04 17:24   ` Bastian Ballmann
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1301937878.24257.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastian Ballmann @ 2011-04-04 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:30:47 -0400
schrieb Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org>:

> These days, though, I use org-mode, which has better support for
> tracking events (as opposed to dates).  I still use diary for things
> like birthdays.  I think there are some other scheduling packages
> around with other capabilities, but I can't find any pointers at this
> moment.

well I use org-mode too but only found a tutorial that describes on how
to save the dates to appt in order to get notified. It would be nice if
I could use directly org-mode to send me the nofifications, but it
should be possible to call my own function cause I execute a popup.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Past appointments
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5.1301937878.24257.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-04-04 18:10     ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2011-04-04 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastian Ballmann <balle@chaostal.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Am Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:30:47 -0400
> schrieb Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org>:
>
>> These days, though, I use org-mode, which has better support for
>> tracking events (as opposed to dates).  I still use diary for things
>> like birthdays.  I think there are some other scheduling packages
>> around with other capabilities, but I can't find any pointers at this
>> moment.
>
> well I use org-mode too but only found a tutorial that describes on how
> to save the dates to appt in order to get notified. It would be nice if
> I could use directly org-mode to send me the nofifications, but it
> should be possible to call my own function cause I execute a popup.

Well, yes, org-mode isn't really a replacement for all functions of the
diary or appointment packages.  But it integrates easily enough into
those that I wouldn't want to duplicate the functionality separately.

As I see it, there are a whole bunch of options here, any of which are
fairly easy.  One is just turn on appt and have org mode add your agenda
items to it.  Another is to run a timer in emacs that periodically
displays your agenda.  Or to run a cron job (or whatever periodic job
scheduler is on your system) to mail you a copy of the agenda daily do
something like extract your agenda and feed it to your cell phone.  If
you want emacs to do the notifications in real time, I'd use appt-mode;
that's precisely what appt-mode is for.

* Re: Past appointments
@ 2011-04-13 17:10       ` Bastian Ballmann
From: Bastian Ballmann @ 2011-04-13 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw