all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hooks for new buffers?
@ 2013-04-04 20:12 Steven Degutis
From: Steven Degutis @ 2013-04-04 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I wrote auto-dim-other-buffers.el (
https://github.com/sdegutis/auto-dim-other-buffers.el) a few days ago,
which applies a "dimmed" face to non-current buffers.

It adds to post-command-hook and after-change-major-mode-hook, the first as
a catch-all "something changed" and the second as a hacky way of saying "a
new buffer just got created".

This mostly works. But sometimes new buffers are created that don't change
major modes. For example, *magit-process* gets created at some point, and
when I show it via $ inside magit-status, it's not dimmed. So it's not
changing major modes.

When I show the buffer via $, it probably triggers the post-command-hook,
but my hook tries to be efficient, by only looking at the previous
current-buffer and the new current-buffer. And this isn't either of those,
since it just shows up in a new window but isn't given focus. I'm sure
there are other situations like this.

The easiest way to solve this is to find a hook that's called when new
buffers are created, even if that's not its official purpose. Apparently
after-change-major-mode-hook isn't enough, presumably because these never
changed major modes. So is there such a hook?

And if not, is there at least some hook that happens whenever new windows
are opened?

-Steven