all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* c++ indentation gets messed up quite often
@ 2012-09-20  2:43 sunil
From: sunil @ 2012-09-20  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

emacs : 24.1.1
GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10) of 2012-07-13 on x86-04.phx2.fedoraproject.org

Fedora 17
C++ mode

The indentation gets quite messed up while in the middle of editing a file.
eg: The new code will get indented to the column 0.

Usually, in the past, this has meant that i had typed something syntactically incorrect. Now this is not the case.
Even the tab which is set to indent shifts the line to column 0.

If I restart emacs, i can then correctly indent the line and things are back to normal. Bug ?

Has anyone seen this behaviour in this recent versions of emacs ?

tia,

Sunil

* Re: c++ indentation gets messed up quite often
@ 2012-09-20  3:31 ` Sohail Somani
From: Sohail Somani @ 2012-09-20  3:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 19/09/2012 10:43 PM, sunil@equityoms.com wrote:
> If I restart emacs, i can then correctly indent the line and things are back to normal. Bug ?
>
> Has anyone seen this behaviour in this recent versions of emacs ?

Yes, I see this on a regular basis. It's VERY annoying. I can't
reproduce it of course :-/

However, the easiest way to get it to fix itself is to revert the
buffer. You probably don't need to restart emacs, or at least I don't.

* Re: c++ indentation gets messed up quite often
@ 2012-09-20  4:34   ` Tima
From: Tima @ 2012-09-20  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, same here.

GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)

@ 2012-09-20 13:48 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-09-20 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> If I restart emacs, i can then correctly indent the line and things
> are back to normal.  Bug ?

Yes, it's a bug.  CC-mode's maintainer has fixed a few problems in that
area since 24.1, so 24.2 might work better for you, but there has been
further fixes since, so you might want to try a recent snapshot of the
Emacs trunk.  Also, those problems are difficult to track down and fix
because they're usually difficult to reproduce, but there are some flags
you can set that make CC-mode do extra work to double-check what it does
so that any problem is caught early and results in useful
debug information.

IOW, please try the Emacs trunk and if you still bump into such
problems, use M-x report-emacs-bug.

* Re: c++ indentation gets messed up quite often
@ 2012-09-20 13:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2012-09-20 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The indentation gets quite messed up while in the middle of editing a file.
> eg: The new code will get indented to the column 0.

If you can reproduce this more or less easily, please try and
(setq c-debug-parse-state t).  You have to do this before loading
c-mode, so either do it in your .emacs, or do
M-x load-library RET cc-engine RET afterwards for it to take effect.

This should hopefully catch the problem right when it shows up and log
some debug info in your *Messages* buffer, which you can then send via
M-x report-emacs-bug.

* Re: c++ indentation gets messed up quite often
@ 2012-09-20 15:01   ` Sohail Somani
From: Sohail Somani @ 2012-09-20 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 20/09/2012 9:48 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> If I restart emacs, i can then correctly indent the line and things
>> are back to normal.  Bug ?
>
> Yes, it's a bug.  CC-mode's maintainer has fixed a few problems in that
> area since 24.1, so 24.2 might work better for you, but there has been
> further fixes since, so you might want to try a recent snapshot of the
> Emacs trunk.  Also, those problems are difficult to track down and fix
> because they're usually difficult to reproduce, but there are some flags
> you can set that make CC-mode do extra work to double-check what it does
> so that any problem is caught early and results in useful
> debug information.
>
> IOW, please try the Emacs trunk and if you still bump into such
> problems, use M-x report-emacs-bug.
>

>          Stefan

Thank you Stefan! I'm going to try this today.

* Re: c++ indentation gets messed up quite often
@ 2012-09-20 16:21   ` Lowell Gilbert
From: Lowell Gilbert @ 2012-09-20 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> If I restart emacs, i can then correctly indent the line and things
>> are back to normal.  Bug ?
>
> Yes, it's a bug.  CC-mode's maintainer has fixed a few problems in that
> area since 24.1, so 24.2 might work better for you, but there has been
> further fixes since, so you might want to try a recent snapshot of the
> Emacs trunk.  Also, those problems are difficult to track down and fix
> because they're usually difficult to reproduce, but there are some flags
> you can set that make CC-mode do extra work to double-check what it does
> so that any problem is caught early and results in useful
> debug information.
>
> IOW, please try the Emacs trunk and if you still bump into such
> problems, use M-x report-emacs-bug.

24.2 isn't any better on this (for me) than 24.1. Unfortunately, it only
recurs on the order of dozens of hours, so I haven't been able to do
much in the way of diagnostics on it.

 - Lowell