all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-14 21:21 newbKt
From: newbKt @ 2006-07-14 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all.

This is the system I am using:
WinXP
Miktex 2.4
Emacs/AucTeX precompiled bundle
(http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex/download-for-windows.html)

I was wondering if it was possible to create a tags file and open all
of the files in the buffer at once. I need very explicit instructions,
not rtfm. I tried to type etags in the minibuffer, but I don't think
that was the correct location because I never could finish typing the
word without emacs triggering some macro or going into straight text. I
couldn't figure out where in the world I was supposed to type it.

Also I tried to use %g to mark the files I wanted, but I was not
successful in getting the files I wanted marked. Is there a way to mark
files that begin with 0 and have the extension .tex? I tried a variety
of things, like 0*.tex, 0[*.tex] but none of them worked. An example
file list is given below:
cow.tex
02-bull.tex
03-eagle.cgz
09-fish.tex

I want files 02 and 09 to be marked and then I want to open them up
with some magical combination of keys.

Any help anyone can provide is extremely appreciated!

kt

* Re: create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-15  7:47 ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2006-07-15  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

* newbKt (2006-07-14) writes:

> I was wondering if it was possible to create a tags file and open all
> of the files in the buffer at once.

You didn't write why you want to open these files at once and if that
is a recurring task, but maybe Desktop mode would be a (different) way
of achieving what you want, see
(info "(emacs)Saving Emacs Sessions") <-- Type `C-x C-e' here.

--
Ralf

* Re: create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-17 10:27 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-07-17 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

"newbKt" <katydotlee@gmail.com> writes:

> Also I tried to use %g to mark the files I wanted, but I was not
> successful in getting the files I wanted marked. Is there a way to mark
> files that begin with 0 and have the extension .tex? I tried a variety
> of things, like 0*.tex, 0[*.tex] but none of them worked. An example
> file list is given below:
> cow.tex
> 02-bull.tex
> 03-eagle.cgz
> 09-fish.tex
>
> I want files 02 and 09 to be marked and then I want to open them up
> with some magical combination of keys.

To do that you should use the `% m' command instead. `% g' searches
*inside* the files and marks the one that matches the regexp you
enter. `% m' matches text in the file names.

So, try `% m' instead, with the following search string: 0.*\.tex$

To actually open the marked files, the only command I found seems to
be `F', `dired-do-find-marked-files'. Try that.

* Re: create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-17 10:39 ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-07-17 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

"newbKt" <katydotlee@gmail.com> writes:

> I was wondering if it was possible to create a tags file and open all
> of the files in the buffer at once. I need very explicit instructions,
> not rtfm. I tried to type etags in the minibuffer, but I don't think
> that was the correct location because I never could finish typing the
> word without emacs triggering some macro or going into straight text. I
> couldn't figure out where in the world I was supposed to type it.

You mention etags so I guess you refer to "tags" in the old sense. But
in case you mean the modern, hyped tags, you might want to test a
little experiment I did some weeks ago:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/FileProps

With it you can add meta data about files and later use that data to
find files in different ways. You can for example tag files that you
use in a certain project, with some keyword, even if they are placed
in different directories.

/Mathias

* Re: create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-17 21:15   ` newbKt
From: newbKt @ 2006-07-17 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You didn't write why you want to open these files at once and if that
> is a recurring task

I have a parsed file for my thesis and yes I do want to open all of
these files at once and it is a recurring task for the next few weeks.
Luckily, I found a better way to do this without having to tag or go
into desktop mode, although both pieces of information have increased
my emacs awareness.

So the solution is to actually just open the main file that has the
include commands for the parsed files. Go into RefTeX mode. Use C-c =
to bring up the toc. Have the cursor follow by typing f while you're in
the toc window. Move to whichever file you want and type spc if you
haven't opened the file already, otherwise the file is automatically
opened. Avoids a lot of hassel. :)

* Re: create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-17 21:21   ` newbKt
From: newbKt @ 2006-07-17 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

> So, try `% m' instead, with the following search string: 0.*\.tex$

that is extremely helpful and useful! thanks.

> To actually open the marked files, the only command I found seems to
> be `F', `dired-do-find-marked-files'. Try that.

That did not work for me. Is there a way to try to type
`dired-do-find-marked-files' in the minibuffer? How do you type in that
area? When I click on it, it opens the Messages buffer...

@ 2006-07-18  9:01     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-07-18  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"newbKt" <katydotlee@gmail.com> writes:

>> To actually open the marked files, the only command I found seems to
>> be `F', `dired-do-find-marked-files'. Try that.
>
> That did not work for me. Is there a way to try to type
> `dired-do-find-marked-files' in the minibuffer? How do you type in that
> area? When I click on it, it opens the Messages buffer...

It is part of `dired-x', maybe you could try loading that:

 M-x load-library RET dired-x RET

Not sure in which version of Emacs that was included though.

If it works, you might want to put this in your .emacs:

(defun my-dired-init ()
  (require 'dired-x))

(add-hook 'dired-load-hook 'my-dired-init))

It will make sure `dired-x' is loaded when Dired starts.

* Re: create and open tags in windows and other markings...
@ 2006-07-20  1:04       ` newbKt
From: newbKt @ 2006-07-20  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It is part of `dired-x', maybe you could try loading that:
>
>  M-x load-library RET dired-x RET
>
> Not sure in which version of Emacs that was included though.
>
> If it works, you might want to put this in your .emacs:
>
> (defun my-dired-init ()
>   (require 'dired-x))
>
> (add-hook 'dired-load-hook 'my-dired-init))
>
> It will make sure `dired-x' is loaded when Dired starts.

Awesome. It worked (with a little tweak).
M-x load-library RET dired-x RET
`F' % if you try to open a lot (don't know how many that is but 11 is
too many) simultaneously it tells you that it can't and that you should
use C-u

soooo, instead, once I loaded the dired-x library, the next keystrokes
were C-u F

wala, C-x C-b check to see if all the files are open

Thanks!

kt