all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
       [not found] ` <E1EW40U-0006QV-Vt@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2005-10-30  8:35   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-10-30  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel '

On 30 Oct 2005, at 03:37, Richard M. Stallman wrote:

> The way to pull the kill ring text into the search string is M-y.
> Do C-s M-y.

Thanks, my bad.

On a second thought, I did do a C-s C-h k C-y and was told that C-y
is yank (or cua-paste in cua-mode), and M-y is found  to be bound to
Cua-paste-pop (with cua-mode on), which is described as "Replace a
just-pasted text or rectangle with a different text|" (even though M-
y works).

The fact that I can't use the usual C-y, and the fact that C-y
doesn't even yank into the original buffer, is confusing.
C-y works fine with anything else in the minibuffer, and if
incremental search isn't using the normal minibuffer mechanisms, that
is confusing and not visually communicated to the user.

The manual says:

> "The characters C-y and C-w can be used in incremental search to
> grab text from the buffer into the search string ... C-y is similar
> to C-w but copies all the rest of the current line into the search
> string."

I don't understand why a fairly specialized functionality (copying
the rest of the current line) is bound to a key where it overrides
one of the most commonly used functions ever.

* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
@ 2005-10-30 11:41     ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-10-30 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, Emacs-Devel '

2005/10/30, David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>:
> I don't understand why a fairly specialized functionality (copying
> the rest of the current line) is bound to a key where it overrides
> one of the most commonly used functions ever.

Historical reasons.

-miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
@ 2005-11-01 13:39 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2005-11-01 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: snogglethorpe

Miles Bader, 30-Oct-05:

> > I don't understand why a fairly specialized functionality (copying
> > the rest of the current line) is bound to a key where it overrides
> > one of the most commonly used functions ever.
>
> Historical reasons.

Great - we have a chance to write history now :)

Is "copy rest of line as search for it" used by a lot of people?

If not, one could seize the opportunity and bind this function to
something like C-S-y and bring C-y yank back.

As said, C-s C-h k C-y tells me that C-y is bound to yank, which I
would consider a bug.

* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
@ 2005-11-01 14:01 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-11-01 14:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs-Devel

2005/11/1, David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com>:
> > > I don't understand why a fairly specialized functionality (copying
> > > the rest of the current line) is bound to a key where it overrides
> > > one of the most commonly used functions ever.
> >
> > Historical reasons.
>
> Great - we have a chance to write history now :)

I don't particularly care about it, but the issue has come up many
times before; I do not recall whether the lack of change was due to
actual complaints, or merely the the fear of them.  The existing
binding of C-y in isearch is certainly not an _obscure_ binding,
anyway.

-Miles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
@ 2005-11-01 16:00 ` Andreas Schwab
From: Andreas Schwab @ 2005-11-01 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: snogglethorpe, Emacs-Devel '

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> Is "copy rest of line as search for it" used by a lot of people?

I'm using it quite a lot.

> If not, one could seize the opportunity and bind this function to
> something like C-S-y and bring C-y yank back.

C-S-y is inaccessible on a tty frame.

Andreas.

* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
@ 2005-11-01 19:50 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2005-11-01 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> As said, C-s C-h k C-y tells me that C-y is bound to yank
                  ^
isearch has been exited at this point

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: yank in search minibuffer doesn't yank
@ 2005-11-08 21:31   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-11-08 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johan Bockgård wrote:
> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>>As said, C-s C-h k C-y tells me that C-y is bound to yank
>                   ^
> isearch has been exited at this point

Unless you: (define-key isearch-mode-map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

--
Kevin Rodgers