all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs for winXP and spell checking??
@ 2006-06-22 13:26 Johs32
       [not found] ` <mailman.3182.1150993221.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Johs32 @ 2006-06-22 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have installed emacs for winXP, but how do I enable some kind og spell
checking?

Johs

* Re: emacs for winXP and spell checking??
@ 2006-06-22 16:01 Jay Bingham
From: Jay Bingham @ 2006-06-22 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, June 22, 2006 8:26 AM Johs wrote:

> I have installed emacs for winXP, but how do I enable some kind
> og spell checking?

You will need to install a spell program Ispell and Aspell are both
available (I recommend Aspell, see http://aspell.net/ for reasons)
then add some statements to your .emacs file to enable it.

You can find the latest Aspell that has been ported for windows at:
http://aspell.net/win32/
Download the Aspell binaries (Full installer) and the precompiled
dictionaries of your choice. (You will need at least one dictionary,
but can have multiple dictionaries if you desire).
I recommend installing in the c:/aspell directory.

Once you have Aspell installed put the following in your .emacs (note
that the internal variable names in emacs begin with ispell-):
;; Enable aspell as the spell program
;; (Requires that the Aspell program and a dictionary be installed on
the PC.
;;  Install them in: c:\Aspell
;;  Add the following to the PATH variable: c:\Aspell\bin
;;  The latest version of the Aspell program, Aspell-<version>.exe,
;;  and the dictionary of your choice, for example: aspell-en-
<version>.exe,
;;  can be found at http://aspell.net/win32/).
(setq-default ispell-program-name "aspell")

You can also put the following in your .emacs if you desire to have
regions skipped in c and java modes, similar hooks can be added for
other modes as well:

;;-*- -*- -*- -*- -*-
;; (message "Add c mode hook")
(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
		 (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]")
                       ispell-skip-region-alist))))

;;-*- -*- -*- -*- -*-
;; (message "Add java mode hook")
(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
	  (lambda ()
	    (set (make-local-variable 'ispell-skip-region-alist)
		 (cons '("\\\\[abfnrtv\\'\"]")
                       ispell-skip-region-alist))))

__
J_)
C_)ingham

PrivatePhone - FREE telephone number & voicemail.
A number so private, you can make it public.
http://www.privatephone.com

* Re: emacs for winXP and spell checking??
@ 2006-06-22 16:17 ` It's me FKtPp ;)
       [not found] ` <mailman.3182.1150993221.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: It's me FKtPp ;) @ 2006-06-22 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Johs32 wrote:
> I have installed emacs for winXP, but how do I enable some kind og spell
> checking?
>
> Johs

1. Install aspell for w32. http://aspell.net/win32/
2. add aspell.exe's directory to your PATH variable.
3. add (setq ispell-program-name "aspell") to your .emacs

Done

@ 2006-06-22 19:01   ` Colin S. Miller
From: Colin S. Miller @ 2006-06-22 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

It's me FKtPp ;) wrote:
> Johs32 wrote:
>> I have installed emacs for winXP, but how do I enable some kind og spell
>> checking?
>>
>> Johs
>
> 1. Install aspell for w32. http://aspell.net/win32/
> 2. add aspell.exe's directory to your PATH variable.
> 3. add (setq ispell-program-name "aspell") to your .emacs
>
> Done

You might also want to set the dictionary to use by adding
(setq ispell-dictionary 'british)
to your .emacs

flyspell-mode and flyspell-prog-mode are handy
if you want background spell checking,

otherwise use M-x ispell-buffer, M-x  ispell-region, M-x ispell-word
to check the speling

--
Replace the obvious in my email address with the first three letters of the hostname to reply.