all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* save all emacs buffers
@ 2006-06-23  3:50 Umi
From: Umi @ 2006-06-23  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is it possible that save the emacs buffers to use later?

Mozilla firefox browser can save all tabs with 'Bookmark All Tabs'. So I
can back to the task without some saving.

Is it possible in emacs, many buffer is opened in emacs

I need to turn off the computer now. I need a tool like 'Bookmark All
Tabs' to continue the task later without to save each buffer and to note
each buffer's name.

thanks

* Re: save all emacs buffers
       [not found] <mailman.3220.1151034612.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-23  5:46 ` pluskid
From: pluskid @ 2006-06-23  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

maybe desktop.el will meet your need. BTW, it is better to use it with
session.el which save your local variables and registers etc. of your
buffers.

@ 2006-06-23  6:51 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2006-06-23  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Umi <ptmono@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible that save the emacs buffers to use later?
>
> Mozilla firefox browser can save all tabs with 'Bookmark All Tabs'. So I
> can back to the task without some saving.
>
> Is it possible in emacs, many buffer is opened in emacs
>
> I need to turn off the computer now. I need a tool like 'Bookmark All
> Tabs' to continue the task later without to save each buffer and to note
> each buffer's name.
>
> thanks

There are a number of packages which may provide the functionality you
need. For questions of this type, the emacs wiki is a great starting
point. Have a look at

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryPersistence
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SessionManagement

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: save all emacs buffers
@ 2006-06-25 16:57   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3308.1151254687.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-25 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 23.06.2006 um 07:46 schrieb pluskid:

> maybe desktop.el will meet your need. BTW, it is better to use it with
> session.el which save your local variables and registers etc. of your
> buffers.

I think, too, that the combination of these two produces the best
outcome. Session alone seems to forget about some buffers (or simply
does not re-open some files in buffers, maybe those I have only
visited?), and desktop is a bit simplistic. Combining both all useful
files open in buffers again -- and the points are located where they
were before! With some Elisp it's easy to have different work-sets
for different Emacsen (versions for example).

--
Greetings

   Pete

When you meet a master swordsman,
show him your sword.
When you meet a man who is not a poet,
do not show him your poem.
                 -- Rinzai, ninth century Zen master

* Re: save all emacs buffers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3308.1151254687.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-26  9:02     ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-06-26  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> maybe desktop.el will meet your need. BTW, it is better to use it with
>> session.el which save your local variables and registers etc. of your
>> buffers.
>
> I think, too, that the combination of these two produces the best
> outcome. Session alone seems to forget about some buffers (or simply
> does not re-open some files in buffers, maybe those I have only
> visited?), and desktop is a bit simplistic. Combining both all useful
> files open in buffers again -- and the points are located where they
> were before! With some Elisp it's easy to have different work-sets
> for different Emacsen (versions for example).

I haven't figured out exactly what is going wrong, but session.el or
desktop.el (don't remember which one) have messed up my Emacs
environment now and then. I think the reason is that it saves too much
"stuff". After disabling it Emacs works normally again. This isn't an
"official" complaint, I will have to do some debugging before I post a
bug about this.

This was just a small warning, desktop.el will probably work nice for
the parent poster.

* Re: save all emacs buffers
@ 2006-06-26 10:32       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-26 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.06.2006 um 11:02 schrieb Mathias Dahl:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>>> maybe desktop.el will meet your need. BTW, it is better to use it
>>> with
>>> session.el which save your local variables and registers etc. of
>>> your
>>> buffers.
>>
>> I think, too, that the combination of these two produces the best
>> outcome. Session alone seems to forget about some buffers (or simply
>> does not re-open some files in buffers, maybe those I have only
>> visited?), and desktop is a bit simplistic. Combining both all useful
>> files open in buffers again -- and the points are located where they
>> were before! With some Elisp it's easy to have different work-sets
>> for different Emacsen (versions for example).
>
> I haven't figured out exactly what is going wrong, but session.el or
> desktop.el (don't remember which one) have messed up my Emacs
> environment now and then. I think the reason is that it saves too much
> "stuff". After disabling it Emacs works normally again. This isn't an
> "official" complaint, I will have to do some debugging before I post a
> bug about this.
>
> This was just a small warning, desktop.el will probably work nice for
> the parent poster.

Maybe these lines help a bit:

;;; Desktop & Session
(unless (string-match "21.2" mEV)
   (progn
     (desktop-save-mode 1)
     (setq history-length 250)
     (setq desktop-globals-to-save '(desktop-missing-file-warning))	%
nice when a buffer was visiting an archive, or the senseless file was
removed in the meantime
     (setq desktop-dirname   (format "~/.emacs.d/PDesktop-%d" emacs-
major-version))
;veraltet: (desktop-load-default)
;    (setq desktop-buffer-modes-to-save
;          (cons 'w3m-mode desktop-buffer-modes-to-save))
;    (setq desktop-locals-to-save
;          (cons 'buffer-file-coding-system desktop-locals-to-save))
% automatic now?
     (require 'session)
     (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'session-initialize)
     (setq session-save-file (format "~/.Psession-%d"     emacs-major-
version))
))

Apple brings an old GNU Emacs 21.2 to Mac OS X which only runs
without X11. It would need old syntax, but it isn't worth the effort.
The directories "~/.emacs.d/PDesktop-%d" need to be created.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Wer eher stirbt ist wenigstens länger tot!

* Re: save all emacs buffers
@ 2006-06-26 15:28       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-06-26 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 26.06.2006 um 11:02 schrieb Mathias Dahl:

> I haven't figured out exactly what is going wrong, but session.el or
> desktop.el (don't remember which one) have messed up my Emacs
> environment now and then.

I remember again that one or both failed for me first, too. I then
invoked desktop-save or desktop-save-in-desktop-dir resp. session-
save-session. When they showed failures I could fix them step by
step. Maybe I even created the files in which the information would
habe been saved. Doing this more systematically than I used to do,
you would become fit to enhance the Emacs wiki in this area.

The function descriptions exhibit some internals. It seems I better
should set session-save-file-coding-system to utf-8 ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete
               <\
                 \__     O                       __O
                 | O\   _\\/\-%                _`\<,
                 '()-'-(_)--(_)               (_)/(_)

* Re: save all emacs buffers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3308.1151254687.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-28 19:35   ` Umi
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3479.1151523451.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Umi @ 2006-06-28 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks
The desktop.el is useful to me. And I need one more thing.

The desktop.el do not save 'emacs-w3m' buffers.

Is it possible to save 'emacs-w3m' buffers in desktop.el or in any way?

Thanks.

pluskid wrote:
> maybe desktop.el will meet your need. BTW, it is better to use it with
> session.el which save your local variables and registers etc. of your
> buffers.
> Umi wrote:
>
>> Is it possible that save the emacs buffers to use later?
>>
>> Mozilla firefox browser can save all tabs with 'Bookmark All Tabs'. So I
>> can back to the task without some saving.
>>
>> Is it possible in emacs, many buffer is opened in emacs
>>
>> I need to turn off the computer now. I need a tool like 'Bookmark All
>> Tabs' to continue the task later without to save each buffer and to note
>> each buffer's name.
>>
>> thanks

* Re: save all emacs buffers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3479.1151523451.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-06-28 20:21     ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2006-06-28 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Umi <ptmono@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks
> The desktop.el is useful to me. And I need one more thing.
>
> The desktop.el do not save 'emacs-w3m' buffers.
>
> Is it possible to save 'emacs-w3m' buffers in desktop.el or in any way?

Take a look at w3m-session.el... i think it's just what you want.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThreeMSession

hth,
jao
--
The greatest of faults, I should say, is to be conscious of none. -Thomas
Carlyle, writer (1795-1881)

* Re: save all emacs buffers
@ 2006-07-01 17:18       ` Umi
From: Umi @ 2006-07-01 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)