all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Lost syntax highlighting
@ 2006-06-16  3:00 Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-06-16  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Using Linux Red Hat 9.0 GNU emacs version 21.4.1

I have lost syntax highlighting for a major mode.

Prior to this, I had attempted to use a different file to load the file.
Syntax highlighting did not work. I reverted to the original code used
for autoloading the mode.

Now syntax highlighting for the original configuration is disabled.
evaluating 'font-lock-fontify-buffer does nothing
evaluating 'list-text-properties-at for any word previously highlighted
  gives: Text property at <line number>:  fontified  t
menu->options->Syntax Highlighting (global font lock mode)
  'checked'
in .emacs
  ;; some of 'custom-set-variables
   '(global-font-lock-mode t nil (font-lock))
   '(max-specpdl-size 2000)
in messages:
  Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp Trailing backslash) [3 times]
   This message is showed regardless of whether or not I use
   --debug-init. I see no other messages that signal any error.

Particularly puzzling is that the source file for the mode and my .emacs
files were reverted to copies from a day prior, when all was working
fine.

.session was deleted, no difference.

All other features of the mode still work.

Absolutely baffling and disturbing. With my eyesight am working
almost blind with highlighting.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
thanks!
tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: Lost syntax highlighting
@ 2006-06-16 10:42 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-06-16 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:

> in messages:
>   Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp Trailing backslash) [3 times]
>    This message is showed regardless of whether or not I use
>    --debug-init. I see no other messages that signal any error.

Turn off font-lock-mode, turn on debug-on-error, and run M-x
font-lock-fontify-buffer to get a backtrace.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: Lost syntax highlighting
@ 2006-06-16 12:39 martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-06-16 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

 > I have lost syntax highlighting for a major mode.
 > in messages:
 >   Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp Trailing backslash) [3 times]

Redisplay turns off syntax highlighting whenever a font-lock routine
produces an error.  You have to find the regexp causing this - probably
in a member of `font-lock-keywords' set up for your "major mode" - and
remove the trailing backslash mentioned in the message.

* Re: Lost syntax highlighting
@ 2006-06-16 16:00   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-06-16 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2006-06-16, Johan Bockgård <bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:
> Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com> writes:
>
>> in messages:
>>   Error during redisplay: (invalid-regexp Trailing backslash) [3 times]
>>    This message is showed regardless of whether or not I use
>>    --debug-init. I see no other messages that signal any error.
>
> Turn off font-lock-mode, turn on debug-on-error, and run M-x
> font-lock-fontify-buffer to get a backtrace.

  <blush> I wish I had know that before I started byte-compiling
          dependencies! Any way I did find the problem by that
		  brute force method.
		  thank you for the good advice. I will use it next time.
  cheers
  tim

--
Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>