all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* copy-file: ok-if-already-exists versus mustbenew
@ 2006-05-15 16:09 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-15 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to enhance my reading capabilities, but I can not understand
the difference between the arguments ok-if-already-exists and mustbenew
in the doc for `copy-file'. Can someone please explain this to me?

The only difference I see is that  "never overwrite" is mentioned for
"mustbenew" - though I hope this holds for the first argument too.
However it sounds like the second argument should be about modification
times, but the doc string does not say so.

* Re: copy-file: ok-if-already-exists versus mustbenew
@ 2006-05-15 17:57 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2006-05-15 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   I am trying to enhance my reading capabilities, but I can not understand
   the difference between the arguments ok-if-already-exists and mustbenew
   in the doc for `copy-file'. Can someone please explain this to me?

   The only difference I see is that  "never overwrite" is mentioned for
   "mustbenew" - though I hope this holds for the first argument too.

I do not immediately see the difference either.  mustbenew was
introduced by the following change:

2005-04-23  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>

	    * fileio.c (Fcopy_file): New arg MUSTBENEW.
	    (Frename_file): Pass new arg to Fcopy_file.

I do not immediately understand why Frename_file could not have used
the ok-if-already-exists arg.

   However it sounds like the second argument should be about modification
   times, but the doc string does not say so.

I do not understand this one.  I assume you mean the second _optional_
argument.  From the docstring:

   Fourth arg keep-time non-nil means give the output file the same
   last-modified time as the old one.  (This works on only some systems.)

Another problem is that the preserve-uid-gid arg is not mentioned in
the `(elisp)Changing Files' description of copy-file.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: copy-file: ok-if-already-exists versus mustbenew
@ 2006-05-15 20:11   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-05-15 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Luc Teirlinck wrote:
> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>    I am trying to enhance my reading capabilities, but I can not understand
>    the difference between the arguments ok-if-already-exists and mustbenew
>    in the doc for `copy-file'. Can someone please explain this to me?

>    However it sounds like the second argument should be about modification
>    times, but the doc string does not say so.
>
> I do not understand this one.  I assume you mean the second _optional_
> argument.  From the docstring:

By "second" I meant "mustbenew" here.

* Re: copy-file: ok-if-already-exists versus mustbenew
@ 2006-05-16  4:28   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-05-16  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

There are two meaningful non-nil settings for MUSTBENEW: `excl' and
anything else (such as t).

Using t seems to be more or less equivalent to specifying an integer
for OK_IF_ALREADY_EXISTS, but `excl' does something different: it
passes the flag to `open' which causes it to fail if the file exists.
That feature is used in `backup-buffer-copy'.

It would be easy to eliminate the special case for t, since that
does nothing new.  However, the `excl' case does something new.
I see two ways to eliminate it:

* Set the O_EXCL flag for OK_IF_ALREADY_EXISTS = `excl' instead.

* Set the O_EXCL flag when OK_IF_ALREADY_EXISTS is any symbol.

Does anyone see a problem with either of these?