all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-% in macro
@ 2012-01-30  9:51 Daniel Aronovitch
From: Daniel Aronovitch @ 2012-01-30  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

For some reasons, I've to perform every day a series of search/replace on a
auto generated text file. I've no possibility to access the code that
generate that file to correct the mistakes. So, what I did is a macro in
emacs that performs those search/replace all, that is with a "!" as last
input of each search/replace command. My problem is that if there is no
occurrence of one specific search that might appear on the next day, the "!"
is understood as a typed character and not anymore as "replace all" and
hence is inserted in the text, which is an annoyance.
Does anyone have a idea on how I could avoid that problem. Thanks. DA

* RE: M-% in macro
@ 2012-01-30 18:41 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-01-30 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'Daniel Aronovitch', Help-gnu-emacs

> For some reasons, I've to perform every day a series of
> search/replace on a
> auto generated text file. I've no possibility to access the code that
> generate that file to correct the mistakes. So, what I did is
> a macro in emacs that performs those search/replace all, that is
> with a "!" as last input of each search/replace command. My problem
> is that if there is no occurrence of one specific search that might
> appear on the next day, the "!" is understood as a typed character
> and not anymore as "replace all" and hence is inserted in the text,
> which is an annoyance.  Does anyone have a idea on how I could
> avoid that problem. Thanks. DA

Sounds like you do not really want/need a query-replace dialog.  See command
`replace-string'.

If you want to use Lisp instead of a keyboard macro for this, then see the note
in the `replace-string' doc string about what to use in Lisp.