all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to update a file
@ 2006-03-14 11:33 billy
From: billy @ 2006-03-14 11:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I know if I do the C-x C-f and give it the same name as the file I
already have opened it will ask me if I want to update.  Is there a way
I can just tell emacs to update the file that is my focus?

* Re: How to update a file
@ 2006-03-14 15:04 ` Maarten Bergvelt
From: Maarten Bergvelt @ 2006-03-14 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1142335993.417659.34910@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
billy
wrote:

> I know if I do the C-x C-f and give it the same name as the file I
> already have opened it will ask me if I want to update.  Is there a way
> I can just tell emacs to update the file that is my focus?

C-c C-f does not behave for me that way: I don't get asked
anything. What do you mean update? Maybe you have configured C-x C-f
in a strange way: check with C-h k.

--
Maarten Bergvelt

* Re: How to update a file
@ 2006-03-14 15:50   ` billy
From: billy @ 2006-03-14 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

by update I mean that I have the file open for viewing/editing.
In a shell I execute a script that recreates the file.  It changes, but
if I dont reopen the file again I do not see the new version.

* Re: How to update a file
@ 2006-03-14 15:57     ` Gordon Beaton
From: Gordon Beaton @ 2006-03-14 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 14 Mar 2006 07:50:06 -0800, billy wrote:
> by update I mean that I have the file open for viewing/editing.
> In a shell I execute a script that recreates the file.  It changes, but
> if I dont reopen the file again I do not see the new version.

M-x revert-buffer
or
C-x C-v <enter>

I use the following with find-alternate-file so I don't have to hunt
for my position in the file afterward re-visiting it:

(defadvice find-alternate-file (around restore-point activate)
  "Restore current position when re-visiting same file"
  (let ((saved-point (point))
        (saved-window-start (window-start))
        (saved-filename buffer-file-name))
    ad-do-it
    (if (equal saved-filename buffer-file-name)
        (progn (goto-char saved-point)
               (set-window-start (selected-window) saved-window-start)))))

(suggestions for improvements are welcome)

/gordon

--
[  do not email me copies of your followups  ]
g o r d o n + n e w s @  b a l d e r 1 3 . s e

* Re: How to update a file
@ 2006-03-15 16:04       ` Mathias Dahl
From: Mathias Dahl @ 2006-03-15 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)