all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* installation of emacs on Windows
@ 2006-01-14 23:26 thickface
From: thickface @ 2006-01-14 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi all,
i just downloaded two files, emacs-21.4a.tar and emacs-21.4a.tar.gz.
now i am trying to figure out how to install them.  right now, i have
no idea.  i even don't know what 'tar' and gz mean.
can anyone help me out??  thanks.

* Re: installation of emacs on Windows
@ 2006-01-14 23:40 ` Lennart Borgman
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-01-14 23:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

thickface wrote:
> hi all,
> i just downloaded two files, emacs-21.4a.tar and emacs-21.4a.tar.gz.
> now i am trying to figure out how to install them.  right now, i have
> no idea.  i even don't know what 'tar' and gz mean.
> can anyone help me out??  thanks.

Go to http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategoryWThirtyTwo

* Re: installation of emacs on Windows
@ 2006-01-15  0:11 ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2006-01-15  0:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

* thickface <kimfinale@gmail.com> [060114 14:34]:
> hi all,
> i just downloaded two files, emacs-21.4a.tar and emacs-21.4a.tar.gz.
> now i am trying to figure out how to install them.  right now, i have
> no idea.  i even don't know what 'tar' and gz mean.

 Hi thickface:
   Most windows utilies like pkzip, winzip will open a tarfile
   (.tar.gz extension)
   tim

> can anyone help me out??  thanks.

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: installation of emacs on Windows
@ 2006-01-15  6:29 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2006-01-15  6:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"thickface" <kimfinale@gmail.com> wrote in message
> hi all,
> i just downloaded two files, emacs-21.4a.tar and emacs-21.4a.tar.gz.
> now i am trying to figure out how to install them.  right now, i have
> no idea.  i even don't know what 'tar' and gz mean.
> can anyone help me out??  thanks.

You might have a source tarball for Linux and a gzipped tarball. If you
want to run a pre-compiled package under windows I would suggest that you
fall back to 21.3. I think that newer versions than that for Doze are all
CVS (  beta versions).

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

and if you want foreign language support:

http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-leim.tar.gz

The djtarnt.exe (downloadable at):

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/utilities/i386/

works more reliably than Winzip. Go to a Dos window so you can see what's
going on (start:run:command). Copy the djtarnt.exe and the the tar.gz file
(or both tar.gz's) from wherever you downloaded them to, into any empty
directory (e.g. \emacs) and run djtarnt -x emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
and  then the other one. Finally type runemacs (or make a shortcut on the
desktop with a start directory specified where you want to keep your edit
files. You can also run addpm if you want emacs specific info written into
Windows' registry. It's not necessary.

Ed.

* Re: installation of emacs on Windows
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-01-15  8:41 ` Xiaodong Xu
From: Xiaodong Xu @ 2006-01-15  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"thickface" <kimfinale@gmail.com> writes:

> hi all,
> i just downloaded two files, emacs-21.4a.tar and emacs-21.4a.tar.gz.
> now i am trying to figure out how to install them.  right now, i have
> no idea.  i even don't know what 'tar' and gz mean.
> can anyone help me out??  thanks.

give u some tips:

1. try to learn some base knowledge of emacs and linux
2. try to download emacs22 (or so called nqmacs) instead of emacs21