all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!
@ 2005-11-12 12:37 mhs208
From: mhs208 @ 2005-11-12 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Sir/Madame

I used Latex from Emacs in Windows 2000 and XP and would like to do the
same things here. Yesterday, I found the files of Emacs 21.3 and
downloaded them from http://www.math.aau.dk/~dethlef/Tips/download.html.

I tested the software but the following error message came out.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

m:\My Documents\kikuchi>latex "\nonstopmode\input" getphd.tex
latex "\nonstopmode\input" getphd.tex
This is e-TeXk, Version 3.141592-2.1 (Web2c 7.5.2)
  %&-line parsing enabled.
  (c:/usr/local/share/texmf/web2c/cp8bit.tcx)
I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!

m:\My Documents\kikuchi>

What is the file 'latex.emft'? How do I fix this problem? For my work,
latex is essential software and your kind help is very helpful for me.

All the best

Takashi

* I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!
@ 2005-11-12 12:39 mhs208
From: mhs208 @ 2005-11-12 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

* Re: I can't find the format file `latex.efmt'!
@ 2005-11-12 13:02 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-11-12 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs help

Am 12.11.2005 um 13:39 schrieb mhs208@bangor.ac.uk:

> What is the file 'latex.emft'?

It's the extended format file for the latex binary (command,
programme), in which many basic macros are put together for easy use,
instead of loading at least dozens of files.

>  How do I fix this problem?

By correcting your TeX installation!

You either have two sets of binaries (one to work with *.fmt files and
another one to work with *.efmt files) or something during installation
happened that the format files where not made.

I'd recommend to check the search path for binaries. If this can't fix
your problem, then re-install again.

Which TeX distribution are you using? Is there no mailing list for this
one? Did you find in Emacs the menu entry to report an AUCTeX bug
(although it's none)?

--
Greetings

              ~  O