all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Fwd: Re: How to know which function a menu item calls?]
@ 2005-11-06 19:35 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-06 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is this a good suggestion?

From: Richard M. Stallman @ 2005-11-08  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Which of course has an unhelpful prompt (Describe key:).  If the
    prompt were to be changed to say something like "Describe event (key,
    mouse or menu selection):", it would be more obvious what it can do.

How about this?

*** help.el	07 Aug 2005 13:30:23 -0400	1.284
--- help.el	08 Nov 2005 00:26:58 -0500
***************
*** 606,618 ****

  (defun describe-key (key &optional untranslated up-event)
    "Display documentation of the function invoked by KEY.
! KEY should be a key sequence--when calling from a program,
! pass a string or a vector.
! If non-nil UNTRANSLATED is a vector of the untranslated events.
! It can also be a number in which case the untranslated events from
! the last key hit are used."
    ;; UP-EVENT is the up-event that was discarded by reading KEY, or nil.
!   (interactive "kDescribe key: \np\nU")
    (if (numberp untranslated)
        (setq untranslated (this-single-command-raw-keys)))
    (save-excursion
--- 606,620 ----

  (defun describe-key (key &optional untranslated up-event)
    "Display documentation of the function invoked by KEY.
! KEY can be any kind of a key sequence; it can include keyboard events,
! mouse events, and/or menu events.  When calling from a program,
! pass KEY as a string or a vector.
!
! If non-nil, UNTRANSLATED is a vector of the correspondinguntranslated events.
! It can also be a number, in which case the untranslated events from
! the last key sequence entered are used."
    ;; UP-EVENT is the up-event that was discarded by reading KEY, or nil.
!   (interactive "kDescribe key (or click or menu item): \np\nU")

@ 2005-11-08  8:12   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-11-08  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard M. Stallman wrote:

>    Which of course has an unhelpful prompt (Describe key:).  If the
>    prompt were to be changed to say something like "Describe event (key,
>    mouse or menu selection):", it would be more obvious what it can do.
>
>How about this?
>
>*** help.el	07 Aug 2005 13:30:23 -0400	1.284
>--- help.el	08 Nov 2005 00:26:58 -0500
>***************
>*** 606,618 ****
>
>  (defun describe-key (key &optional untranslated up-event)
>    "Display documentation of the function invoked by KEY.
>! KEY should be a key sequence--when calling from a program,
>! pass a string or a vector.
>! If non-nil UNTRANSLATED is a vector of the untranslated events.
>! It can also be a number in which case the untranslated events from
>! the last key hit are used."
>    ;; UP-EVENT is the up-event that was discarded by reading KEY, or nil.
>!   (interactive "kDescribe key: \np\nU")
>    (if (numberp untranslated)
>        (setq untranslated (this-single-command-raw-keys)))
>    (save-excursion
>--- 606,620 ----
>
>  (defun describe-key (key &optional untranslated up-event)
>    "Display documentation of the function invoked by KEY.
>! KEY can be any kind of a key sequence; it can include keyboard events,
>! mouse events, and/or menu events.  When calling from a program,
>! pass KEY as a string or a vector.
>!
>! If non-nil, UNTRANSLATED is a vector of the correspondinguntranslated events.
>! It can also be a number, in which case the untranslated events from
>! the last key sequence entered are used."
>    ;; UP-EVENT is the up-event that was discarded by reading KEY, or nil.
>!   (interactive "kDescribe key (or click or menu item): \np\nU")
>    (if (numberp untranslated)
>        (setq untranslated (this-single-command-raw-keys)))
>    (save-excursion

I think it is good.