all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Org keymap question
@ 2015-07-04 14:56 Alan
       [not found] ` <mailman.6315.1436023460.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Alan @ 2015-07-04 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Function "orgtbl-setup" (in "lisp/org/org-table.el.gz", where my Emacs is GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org) has a number of key bindings that seem to get defined in minor mode "orgtbl-mode", but don't get defined when using Org (as in editing a file that has extension ".org").

My first use of Org was in creating a table of information.  I used the Org Mode Manual (Info node "org" on my distribution) as a guide.  In node "(org) Built-in table editor" some of these missing keymap definitions are listed.  The one of interest to me was "org-table-insert-column".  I didn't find it bound to any key and wondered why isn't it bound.

So, my question is why isn't e.g. "org-table-insert-colunn" bound to a key when using Org?  And why does the Info manual suggest that such a key binding exists, without qualification?  That function (and others) can be found in a keymap--as described above--but that binding seems to be reserved for minor mode "orgtbl-mode" (invoking that mode when in Org is not allowed).

* Re: Org keymap question
@ 2015-07-04 15:23 ` Charles Millar
       [not found] ` <mailman.6315.1436023460.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Millar @ 2015-07-04 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On 07/04/2015 10:56 AM, Alan wrote:
> Function "orgtbl-setup" (in "lisp/org/org-table.el.gz", where my Emacs is GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org) has a number of key bindings that seem to get defined in minor mode "orgtbl-mode", but don't get defined when using Org (as in editing a file that has extension ".org").
>
> My first use of Org was in creating a table of information.  I used the Org Mode Manual (Info node "org" on my distribution) as a guide.  In node "(org) Built-in table editor" some of these missing keymap definitions are listed.  The one of interest to me was "org-table-insert-column".  I didn't find it bound to any key and wondered why isn't it bound.
>
> So, my question is why isn't e.g. "org-table-insert-colunn" bound to a key when using Org?  And why does the Info manual suggest that such a key binding exists, without qualification?  That function (and others) can be found in a keymap--as described above--but that binding seems to be reserved for minor mode "orgtbl-mode" (invoking that mode when in Org is not allowed).

Is this what you are looking for

shift-alt-rightarrrow

to insert column?

likewise shift-alt-leftarrow removes a column

Also org has a list

emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

* Re: Org keymap question
       [not found] ` <mailman.6315.1436023460.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-07-04 22:38   ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2015-07-04 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 10:24:22 AM UTC-5, Charles Millar wrote:
> On 07/04/2015 10:56 AM, Alan wrote:
> > Function "orgtbl-setup" (in "lisp/org/org-table.el.gz", where my Emacs is GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21) of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org) has a number of key bindings that seem to get defined in minor mode "orgtbl-mode", but don't get defined when using Org (as in editing a file that has extension ".org").
> >
> > My first use of Org was in creating a table of information.  I used the Org Mode Manual (Info node "org" on my distribution) as a guide.  In node "(org) Built-in table editor" some of these missing keymap definitions are listed.  The one of interest to me was "org-table-insert-column".  I didn't find it bound to any key and wondered why isn't it bound.
> >
> > So, my question is why isn't e.g. "org-table-insert-colunn" bound to a key when using Org?  And why does the Info manual suggest that such a key binding exists, without qualification?  That function (and others) can be found in a keymap--as described above--but that binding seems to be reserved for minor mode "orgtbl-mode" (invoking that mode when in Org is not allowed).
> >
> Is this what you are looking for
>
> shift-alt-rightarrrow
>
> to insert column?
>
> likewise shift-alt-leftarrow removes a column
>
> Also org has a list
>
> emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

If I do

(where-is 'org-table-insert-column)

I get the following:

org-table-insert-column is not on any key

Function "orgtbl-setup" contains the following:

(bindings
	 '(([(meta shift left)]  org-table-delete-column)
	   ([(meta left)]	 org-table-move-column-left)
	   ([(meta right)]       org-table-move-column-right)
	   ([(meta shift right)] org-table-insert-column)
	   ([(meta shift up)]    org-table-kill-row)
	   ([(meta shift down)]  org-table-insert-row)
	   ([(meta up)]		 org-table-move-row-up)
	   ([(meta down)]	 org-table-move-row-down)
	   ("\C-c\C-w"		 org-table-cut-region)
	   ("\C-c\M-w"		 org-table-copy-region)
	   ("\C-c\C-y"		 org-table-paste-rectangle)
	   ("\C-c\C-w"           org-table-wrap-region)
	   ("\C-c-"		 org-table-insert-hline)
	   ("\C-c}"		 org-table-toggle-coordinate-overlays)
	   ("\C-c{"		 org-table-toggle-formula-debugger)
	   ("\C-m"		 org-table-next-row)
	   ([(shift return)]	 org-table-copy-down)
	   ("\C-c?"		 org-table-field-info)
	   ("\C-c "		 org-table-blank-field)
	   ("\C-c+"		 org-table-sum)
	   ("\C-c="		 org-table-eval-formula)
	   ("\C-c'"		 org-table-edit-formulas)
	   ("\C-c`"		 org-table-edit-field)
	   ("\C-c*"		 org-table-recalculate)
	   ("\C-c^"		 org-table-sort-lines)
	   ("\M-a"		 org-table-beginning-of-field)
	   ("\M-e"		 org-table-end-of-field)
	   ([(control ?#)]       org-table-rotate-recalc-marks)))

while in org mode a number of these that I checked were not bound to
any key sequence.

The Info node that I referenced says:

'M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)'
     Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.

& that is what I was expecting to find, but didn't.

* Re: Org keymap question
@ 2015-07-05  1:43     ` Charles Millar
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6347.1436061779.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Charles Millar @ 2015-07-05  1:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Alan,

On 07/04/2015 06:38 PM, Alan wrote:
> [...]
> 	   ("\C-c{"		 org-table-toggle-formula-debugger)
> 	   ("\C-m"		 org-table-next-row)
> 	   ([(shift return)]	 org-table-copy-down)
> 	   ("\C-c?"		 org-table-field-info)
> 	   ("\C-c "		 org-table-blank-field)
> 	   ("\C-c+"		 org-table-sum)
> 	   ("\C-c="		 org-table-eval-formula)
> 	   ("\C-c'"		 org-table-edit-formulas)
> 	   ("\C-c`"		 org-table-edit-field)
> 	   ("\C-c*"		 org-table-recalculate)
> 	   ("\C-c^"		 org-table-sort-lines)
> 	   ("\M-a"		 org-table-beginning-of-field)
> 	   ("\M-e"		 org-table-end-of-field)
> 	   ([(control ?#)]       org-table-rotate-recalc-marks)))
>
> while in org mode a number of these that I checked were not bound to
> any key sequence.
>
> The Info node that I referenced says:
>
> 'M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)'
>       Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.
>
> & that is what I was expecting to find, but didn't.

I must be missing the point. Are you asking why C-h w or M-x whereis
does not report that M-S-right is bound to org-table-insert-column, even
though it is bound?

I agree that  C-h w org-table-insert-column gives the tesult that you
received, i.e. not bound to any key.

And yet - meta-shift-right is the key chord for org-table-insert-column
which does insert a column to the left of the point

Perhaps there is a bug vis-a-vis, "whereis" and the orgmode keybindings,
and I suggest that you post this question to the orgmode mailing list at
emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, since it is there you will find the org-mode gurus

Best,

Charlie

* Re: Org keymap question
@ 2015-07-05  2:02       ` Óscar Fuentes
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6347.1436061779.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Óscar Fuentes @ 2015-07-05  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> writes:

>> The Info node that I referenced says:
>>
>> 'M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)'
>>       Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.
>>
>> & that is what I was expecting to find, but didn't.
>>
> I must be missing the point. Are you asking why C-h w or M-x whereis
> does not report that M-S-right is bound to org-table-insert-column,
> even though it is bound?
>
> I agree that  C-h w org-table-insert-column gives the tesult that you
> received, i.e. not bound to any key.
>
> And yet - meta-shift-right is the key chord for
> org-table-insert-column which does insert a column to the left of the
> point
>
> Perhaps there is a bug vis-a-vis, "whereis" and the orgmode
> keybindings, and I suggest that you post this question to the orgmode
> mailing list at emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, since it is there you will find
> the org-mode gurus

C-h k M-S-<right> while the point is on a Org table gives:

<M-S-right> runs the command org-shiftmetaright (found in
org-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
`org.el'.

It is bound to <M-S-right>, ESC <S-right>, C-c C-x R, <menu-bar> <Org>
<Edit Structure> <Demote Subtree>, <menu-bar> <Tbl> <Column> <Insert
Column>.

(org-shiftmetaright)

Demote subtree or insert table column.
Calls `org-demote-subtree', `org-indent-item-tree', or
`org-table-insert-column', depending on context.  See the
individual commands for more information.

As you can see the key binding invokes org-shiftmetaright which calls
the corresponding function as per the context. It is apparent that Org
has its own keybinding dispatch mechanism on top of Emacs', so
`where-is' and related features are not reliable when working on Org.

* Re: Org keymap question
       [not found]       ` <mailman.6347.1436061779.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-07-05 21:59         ` Alan
From: Alan @ 2015-07-05 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, July 4, 2015 at 9:03:02 PM UTC-5, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> Charles Millar <millarc_at_verizon.net> writes:
>
> >> The Info node that I referenced says:
> >>
> >> 'M-S-<right>     (org-table-insert-column)'
> >>       Insert a new column to the left of the cursor position.
> >>
> >> & that is what I was expecting to find, but didn't.
> >>
> > I must be missing the point. Are you asking why C-h w or M-x whereis
> > does not report that M-S-right is bound to org-table-insert-column,
> > even though it is bound?
> >
> > I agree that  C-h w org-table-insert-column gives the tesult that you
> > received, i.e. not bound to any key.
> >
> > And yet - meta-shift-right is the key chord for
> > org-table-insert-column which does insert a column to the left of the
> > point
> >
> > Perhaps there is a bug vis-a-vis, "whereis" and the orgmode
> > keybindings, and I suggest that you post this question to the orgmode
> > mailing list at emacs-orgmode@gnu.org, since it is there you will find
> > the org-mode gurus
>
> C-h k M-S-<right> while the point is on a Org table gives:
>
> <M-S-right> runs the command org-shiftmetaright (found in
> org-mode-map), which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
> `org.el'.
>
> It is bound to <M-S-right>, ESC <S-right>, C-c C-x R, <menu-bar> <Org>
> <Edit Structure> <Demote Subtree>, <menu-bar> <Tbl> <Column> <Insert
> Column>.
>
> (org-shiftmetaright)
>
> Demote subtree or insert table column.
> Calls `org-demote-subtree', `org-indent-item-tree', or
> `org-table-insert-column', depending on context.  See the
> individual commands for more information.
>

> As you can see the key binding invokes org-shiftmetaright which calls
> the corresponding function as per the context. It is apparent that Org
> has its own keybinding dispatch mechanism on top of Emacs', so
> `where-is' and related features are not reliable when working on Org.

I can make several observations:

(1) (where-is 'org-shiftmetaright) will work

(2) A search for "org-shiftmetaright" in the Org Info manual ("This manual is for Org version 8.2.9.") turns up nothing.

(4) (describe-mode) does mention "<M-S-right>	org-shiftmetaright" & if I had paid it more attention (and less to the Org Info manual) I would have been better off.