all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* active menu, GTK and commands
@ 2005-10-28  9:12 Alex V. Koval
From: Alex V. Koval @ 2005-10-28  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

What I really like about new GTK interface in emacs is that I can make
any menu floating, and see it. This would be extermely
useful when working with multiple files to make 'Buffers' menu floating
and see current buffers list. But I have a big issue
using this approach, which prevents me using any of floating menu's.

If make any menu as floating window (with the mouse, press on
---------------), and then I want
to type some command in command line (M-x) I experience newline and
spaces and tabs inserted as garbage to the command
line (3 spaces or tabs and single newline).

As soon as I close the external floating menu, all returns to its normal
state and I can enter commands without removing garbage
in prior.

Do you have any hints ? I have tried to look at emacs-devel archives
with no luck.

Here is how it looks:
http://www.halogen-dg.com/emacs1.gif
http://www.halogen-dg.com/emacs2.gif

If I enter any command, I get "[No match]" until I remove garbage..

Thanks.

Alex

* Re: active menu, GTK and commands
@ 2005-10-28 17:30 ` Robert J. Chassell
From: Robert J. Chassell @ 2005-10-28 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

   ... make any menu as floating window..., and ...  type some command
   in command line (M-x) I experience newline and spaces and tabs
   inserted as garbage to the command ...

This does not happen with me.

Using today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Fri, 2005 Oct 28 12:02 UTC
GNU Emacs 22.0.50.8 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.6.10)
started with

    emacs/src/emacs -Q -D

and then starting the menu bar by evaluating     (menu-bar-mode 1)

I created a separate, floating Buffers menu.  Then, typing `M-x pwd'
worked fine, with no errors .

Incidentally, neither

       http://www.halogen-dg.com/emacs1.gif
nor
       http://www.halogen-dg.com/emacs2.gif

succeeded; instead I received this message:

     Debugging Notice

             Zope has encountered a problem publishing your object.

             Cannot locate object at: http://www.halogen-dg.com/emacs2.gif

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    bob@rattlesnake.com                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8

* Re: active menu, GTK and commands
@ 2005-10-29 16:21   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-10-29 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Alex V. Koval, emacs-devel

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

>   ... make any menu as floating window..., and ...  type some command
>   in command line (M-x) I experience newline and spaces and tabs
>   inserted as garbage to the command ...
>
>This does not happen with me.

Nor me.  Can you (Alex) resubmit the bug report with M-x
report-emacs-bug instead so we can see the versions you are using?
Also, does it happen with emacs -Q?

    Jan D.

* active menu, GTK and commands
@ 2005-10-31 12:01 Alex V. Koval
From: Alex V. Koval @ 2005-10-31 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2005-10-31 12:09   ` Alex V. Koval
From: Alex V. Koval @ 2005-10-31 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Robert,
Hello Jan,

Thank you for so fast answers! In fact, now I found that I can not
reproduce it at office (on AMD64),
the problem appears to be only at home computer.

I will re-do the testing there and will submit better bug report
(including report-emacs-bug).

Also I mentioned incorrect URLs, it must be:

http://www.halogen-dg.com/alex/emacs/emacs1.gif
http://www.halogen-dg.com/alex/emacs/emacs2.gif

Regards,

Alex