all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* interaction with "internal" emacs processes.
@ 2005-10-06 15:44 mak kwak
From: mak kwak @ 2005-10-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Halo
My question is rather general.
Quite often I have a need of controling some internal emacs processes. By "internal process" i mean an action that is not listed by `M-x list-processes' but still seems to be and independant process. Examples are: action invoked by `M-x ediff-directories' or `M-x cvs-checkout'.
My question is: can I interact somehow with those emacs "internal processes" ? Especially I would like to deffer invocations of a lisp function after "internal process" is finished.

Example:
(defun my-cvs-checkout-example ()
""
(call-interactively 'cvs-checkout)
(message "checking out cvs repository finished") ;;. I want it be run as cvs-checkout is finished and here it is not.
)

I expect that sometimes there is a special hook that is run after something is finished, but sometimes there is no such hook ( like here for example ). I also did not find any `wait' elisp function that would wait for other function to be finished.

My question is: are there any mechanisms in elisp that make such things be possible.
Greetings

Zapraszamy na sesję naukową "Społeczeństwo
obywatelskie - nowe imię solidarności" 8 października w Gdańsku.
http://klik.wp.pl/?adr=http%3A%2F%2Fadv.reklama.wp.pl%2Fas%2Fsesja.html&sid=526

* Re: interaction with "internal" emacs processes.
@ 2005-10-06 16:25 ` Friedrich Laher
       [not found] ` <mailman.10118.1128621534.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Friedrich Laher @ 2005-10-06 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

perhaps "advise" ?

@ 2005-10-06 17:56 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.10118.1128621534.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-10-06 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

mak kwak wrote:
 > Example:
 > (defun my-cvs-checkout-example ()
 > ""
 > (call-interactively 'cvs-checkout)
 > (message "checking out cvs repository finished") ;;. I want it be run
as cvs-checkout is finished and here it is not.
 > )
 >
 > I expect that sometimes there is a special hook that is run after
 > something is finished, but sometimes there is no such hook ( like here
 > for example ). I also did not find any `wait' elisp function that
 > would wait for other function to be finished.

defadvice.el is exactly for situations where Emacs doesn't provide a
hook:

(defadvice cvs-checkout (after message activate)
   "Display a message when finished."
   (message "cvs-checkout finished"))

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: interaction with "internal" emacs processes.
@ 2005-10-07 14:19 mak kwak
From: mak kwak @ 2005-10-07 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank You Friedrich and Kevin for response.
I will go that way.
Greetings.

@ 2005-10-07 17:06   ` rgb
From: rgb @ 2005-10-07 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  > (defun my-cvs-checkout-example ()
>  > ""
>  > (call-interactively 'cvs-checkout)
>  > (message "checking out cvs repository finished") ;;. I want it be run
> as cvs-checkout is finished and here it is not.
>  > )
>  >
> defadvice.el is exactly for situations where Emacs doesn't provide a
> hook:
>
> (defadvice cvs-checkout (after message activate)
>    "Display a message when finished."
>    (message "cvs-checkout finished"))

I'm totally lost on this line of thought.
How is it possible that any function f-b could execute before
f-a completes.

(f-a)
(f-b)

Your statement implies that the advice on f-a (i.e. f-c)
somehow won't execute until after f-b completes.

(defadvise foo (after f-b) (f-c))
(f-a)
(f-b)

Otherwise what's the point of needing advise?
You could just put the functionality of f-c in f-b
(which is what the OP said didn't work).

@ 2005-10-11  3:56   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-10-11  3:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> Example:
>> (defun my-cvs-checkout-example ()
>> ""
>> (call-interactively 'cvs-checkout)
>> (message "checking out cvs repository finished") ;;. I want it be run as
>    cvs-checkout is finished and here it is not.
>> )
>>
>> I expect that sometimes there is a special hook that is run after
>> something is finished, but sometimes there is no such hook ( like here
>> for example ). I also did not find any `wait' elisp function that
>> would wait for other function to be finished.

PCL-CVS runs the command asynchronously, so upon completion of the
underlying cvs process, Emacs runs the process's sentinel function (which
in PCL-CVS parses the process's output to update the *cvs* buffer).

I'm not sure what you want to do exactly, but maybe you want to implement
your own cvs-checkout which does something extra after the checkout is
finished, in which case you should probably reimplement the function, using
cvs-mode-run (which takes a :postproc argument where you can specify code to
be executed after the command terminates).

* Re: interaction with "internal" emacs processes.
@ 2005-10-11 15:02     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2005-10-11 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

"rgb" <rbielaws@i1.net> writes:

> How is it possible that any function f-b could execute
> before f-a completes.

probably it was a typo (posting-grade code).  anyway, "completes" is
insufficient to describe asynchronous operation, for which there is one
starting point, but multiple ending points; the programmer can control
the interaction of the ending points in various ways.

thi