all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* start-server error
@ 2005-09-27 16:28 ahnkle
From: ahnkle @ 2005-09-27 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,

i am trying to get the emacs server/client working. the docs say use
(start-server), but both cygwin and linux complain.

is it just broken, or am i missing something?

--
YMMV = your mileage may vary
YMMBSDFM = your mileage may be somewhat different from mine

* Re: start-server error
@ 2005-09-27 16:43 ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-09-27 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

* ahnkle <ahnkle@some.where> [050927 07:43]:

> hi,
>
> i am trying to get the emacs server/client working. the docs say use
> (start-server), but both cygwin and linux complain.
>
> is it just broken, or am i missing something?

  Did you invoke the following?

  (require 'eudc)

  HTH
  tim

> --
> YMMV = your mileage may vary
> YMMBSDFM = your mileage may be somewhat different from mine

Tim Johnson <tim@johnsons-web.com>

* Re: start-server error
@ 2005-09-27 17:12 ` Edward O'Connor
From: Edward O'Connor @ 2005-09-27 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> i am trying to get the emacs server/client working. the docs say use
> (start-server), but both cygwin and linux complain.
>
> is it just broken, or am i missing something?

Actually, I think the docs say to call `server-start', not
`start-server', which is undefined. Perhaps this is the problem?

Ted

--
Edward O'Connor
hober0@gmail.com

Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem.

* Re: start-server error
@ 2005-09-27 17:50   ` Tim Johnson
From: Tim Johnson @ 2005-09-27 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Edward O'Connor <hober0@gmail.com> [050927 09:42]:
> > i am trying to get the emacs server/client working. the docs say use
> > (start-server), but both cygwin and linux complain.
> >
> > is it just broken, or am i missing something?
>
> Actually, I think the docs say to call `server-start', not
> `start-server', which is undefined. Perhaps this is the problem?

  Roger that. I left that out.
  Tip:
  type
  C-h a

  emacs says
  "Apropos command (regexp):"
  type

  server <return>
  The following help list made reference to the
  eudc module, which I then loaded and was provided
  with further documentation.

  NOTE: in some configurations, substitue F1 for C-h
  tim

@ 2005-09-27 18:19 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2005-09-27 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

ahnkle <ahnkle@some.where> writes:

> i am trying to get the emacs server/client working. the docs say use
> (start-server), but both cygwin and linux complain.
>
> is it just broken, or am i missing something?

It would help if you defined "emacs server" and "complain" in more
detail.

gnuclient/gnuserv work just fine on Linux, AIX, and native Windows.
I've never tried cygwin.

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646