all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* workgroups and local buffer lists
@ 2012-01-21  2:44 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-01-21  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm using workgroups version 0.2.0
(http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows) which works great
for me, just the right amount of functionality.

The one thing I would like is for each workgroup to maintain its own
buffer list, so that recently viewed buffers in one workgroup won't
"infect" the buffer lists of other workgroups.

I've read the buffer list section of the Elisp manual, but I'm not
seeing an easy way of doing this.

A "workgroup" is just an alist of various parameters, so I guess a new
parameter, "buffer-list", could be added to that. But what would it take
to short-circuit all the commands that use (buffer-list), and make them
use this local version instead? Is this even possible?

Thanks,
Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.92.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.8)
 of 2012-01-11 on pellet

* Re: workgroups and local buffer lists
@ 2012-01-21  2:53 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-01-21  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Jan 21 2012, Eric Abrahamsen wrote:

> I'm using workgroups version 0.2.0
> (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WorkgroupsForWindows) which works great
> for me, just the right amount of functionality.
>
> The one thing I would like is for each workgroup to maintain its own
> buffer list, so that recently viewed buffers in one workgroup won't
> "infect" the buffer lists of other workgroups.
>
> I've read the buffer list section of the Elisp manual, but I'm not
> seeing an easy way of doing this.
>
> A "workgroup" is just an alist of various parameters, so I guess a new
> parameter, "buffer-list", could be added to that. But what would it take
> to short-circuit all the commands that use (buffer-list), and make them
> use this local version instead? Is this even possible?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

Of course five minutes later I find this:

https://github.com/tlh/workgroups.el/wiki/Experimental-documentation

Which appears to be something like what I'm after…

I think this can be ignored! Sorry,

@ 2012-01-21  2:54 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2012-01-21  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Eric Abrahamsen', help-gnu-emacs

> The one thing I would like is for each workgroup to maintain its own
> buffer list, so that recently viewed buffers in one workgroup won't
> "infect" the buffer lists of other workgroups.
>
> I've read the buffer list section of the Elisp manual, but I'm not
> seeing an easy way of doing this.
>
> A "workgroup" is just an alist of various parameters, so I guess a new
> parameter, "buffer-list", could be added to that. But what
> would it take to short-circuit all the commands that use
> (buffer-list), and make them use this local version instead?
> Is this even possible?

Maybe have a look at buffer configurations, which are "named sets of buffers,
sort functions, and other parameters that control completion of buffer names".

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Support_for_Projects#toc6