all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* editing html - auto insert end tags
@ 2005-08-17 22:55 chris
From: chris @ 2005-08-17 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Does anyone know of a html mode that will auto insert the end tags as I
type.  If <html> is typed, it'll add </html> straight away?

It's a simple thing I can live without, but it would be nice.

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: editing html - auto insert end tags
@ 2005-08-17 23:03 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.4112.1124321986.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-08-17 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

chris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know of a html mode that will auto insert the end tags as
> I type.  If <html> is typed, it'll add </html> straight away?
>
> It's a simple thing I can live without, but it would be nice.

You can use nxml-mode to edit xhtml files, see EmacsWiki.

nxml-mode does not do exactly what you are asking for. Instead it keeps
track of what is missing so just position the point where the end tag
should be and the type C-c C-f. And since it is an error that the end
tag is missing nxml-mode can take you to the right position too. It will
also show be a red underline where that is.

Very handy.

* RE: editing html - auto insert end tags
@ 2005-08-17 23:16 Dave Humphries
From: Dave Humphries @ 2005-08-17 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't know of any auto-insert-end-tags function for any mode, however
nxml-mode (for editing xhtml) does have a key sequence  C-cf for
entering closing tags and I would be surprised if the standard or
psgml-mode didn't have something similar.

Tried www.emacswiki.org ?

Dave

@ 2005-08-17 23:30 ` Gian Uberto Lauri
       [not found] ` <mailman.4112.1124321986.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gian Uberto Lauri @ 2005-08-17 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

c> Hi, Does anyone know of a html mode that will auto insert the end
c> tags as I type.  If <html> is typed, it'll add </html> straight
c> away?

html-helper-mode does something like this for some tags...

--
 /\            ___
/___/\__|_|\_|__|___Gian Uberto Lauri_____________________

@ 2005-08-18  0:02   ` chris
From: chris @ 2005-08-18  0:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gian Uberto Lauri wrote:

> c> Hi, Does anyone know of a html mode that will auto insert the end
> c> tags as I type.  If <html> is typed, it'll add </html> straight
> c> away?
>
> html-helper-mode does something like this for some tags...

Do you have to turn it on manually?  I have html-helper-mode here but it
doesn't do it.  I had a look for a more recent version, but there are
loads of pages out there hosting it all with varying versions.

Thanks,

@ 2005-08-18 11:02     ` Friedrich Laher
From: Friedrich Laher @ 2005-08-18 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

just some idea

(setq htmlTagWriting nil)

(defun htmlOpeningTag () (interactive)

  (insert     "<>") (setq htmlStartTagMarkEnd (point-marker))
  (backward-char 1) (setq htmlStartTagMarkBeg (point-marker))

  (setq htmlTagWriting t)
)
(defun htmlClosingTag () (interactive)

  (when  htmlTagWriting

     (goto-char htmlStartTagMarkEnd)

     (insert "</" (buffer-substring htmlStartTagMarkBeg
htmlStartTagMarkEnd) )

     (goto-char htmlStartTagMarkEnd)

     (setq htmlTagWriting nil)
 )
)
(local-set-key "<" 'htmlOpeningTag)
(local-set-key [tab] 'htmlClosingTag)

       [not found] <mailman.4110.1124321756.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-19 21:47 ` chris
From: chris @ 2005-08-19 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Humphries wrote:
> I don't know of any auto-insert-end-tags function for any mode, however
> nxml-mode (for editing xhtml) does have a key sequence  C-cf for
> entering closing tags and I would be surprised if the standard or
> psgml-mode didn't have something similar.

Will try nxml mode.

> Tried www.emacswiki.org ?

Yep.  An old linux distribution had a html mode configured to do this,
but it was years ago.  At the time it really annoyed me, but now I use
other programming modes which do similar things and htmls the odd one out.

@ 2005-08-20  9:33 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2005-08-20  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 09:16:14 +1000 Dave Humphries wrote:

> I don't know of any auto-insert-end-tags function for any mode, however
> nxml-mode (for editing xhtml) does have a key sequence  C-cf for
> entering closing tags and I would be surprised if the standard or
> psgml-mode didn't have something similar.

C-c / works here.  C-c C-t may be interesting too.