all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: reading a big file
       [not found] <mailman.2285.1122955976.20277.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-08-02 16:46 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2005-08-02 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Saravanan Manickanainar Dakshinamoorthy <saravanan.MD@arm.com> writes:

>    I am using emacs version 21.3 on solaris. When i tried to read a text
> file of size 4MB, it takes
> almost a minute or more. When i read the same file with vi it is read
> very fast. Is there a way
> to make this fast?

I suspect that either you have some customization or default that is
causing emacs to parse the file.  After the file is read in, what is
the mode?  Fundamental mode or something else?

Are you invoking a new emacs process or visiting the file with an
already running emacs?

--
Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-08-02 16:46 UTC | newest]