all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Clear Text Passwords
@ 2005-08-04 14:23 Robert.Setterlund
From: Robert.Setterlund @ 2005-08-04 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw

I am the administrator of a Sun Solaris 8.0 and 9.0 server.  My users have
recently reported a problem.  When they enter the Unix command passwd, to
change their system password, and are prompted for their current password,
the password is displayed in clear text as they enter it.  They are using
Hummingbird Exceed's xstart to log into the Unix server, open a virtual
terminal and enter emacs.  I have had them try the same process using
telnet from a Windows XP computer and the password is just not displayed.
Is there a way of configuring emacs to not display the password?

Robert D. Setterlund
Federal Reserve Bank of Boston
600 Atlantic Ave., Boston, MA, 02106
(617) 973-3374
robert.setterlund@bos.frb.org

* Re: Clear Text Passwords
@ 2005-08-04 15:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-08-04 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: Robert.Setterlund

Robert Setterlund wrote:
 > I am the administrator of a Sun Solaris 8.0 and 9.0 server.  My users
 > have recently reported a problem.  When they enter the Unix command
 > passwd, to change their system password, and are prompted for their
 > current password, the password is displayed in clear text as they enter
 > it.  They are using Hummingbird Exceed's xstart to log into the Unix
 > server, open a virtual terminal and enter emacs.  I have had them try
 > the same process using telnet from a Windows XP computer and the
 > password is just not displayed.  Is there a way of configuring emacs to
 > not display the password?

(add-hook 'comint-output-filter-functions 'comint-watch-for-password-prompt)

If you put that in default.el or site-start.el, all the users will
benefit.

--
Kevin Rodgers