all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A question about dired-tree-up and switching w32 drive in dired
@ 2005-06-25 17:40 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-06-25 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to use `dired-tree-up' on w32. I get the error (error
"Cannot go up to d:/upperdir/ - not in this tree"). d:/upperdir/ exists
and is the directory dired is showing. What is wrong?

Is there any way in dired to switch w32 drive letter, for example from
c: to d:?

* Re: A question about dired-tree-up and switching w32 drive in dired
@ 2005-06-25 18:34 ` David Hunter
From: David Hunter @ 2005-06-25 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

> I am trying to use `dired-tree-up' on w32. I get the error (error
> "Cannot go up to d:/upperdir/ - not in this tree"). d:/upperdir/
> exists and is the directory dired is showing. What is wrong?

Hmm... did you dired "d:/upperdir/somedir" then run 'dired-tree-up'?
That would make sense, and you want to use 'dired-up-directory'
instead.  'dired-tree-up' does what you want when your dired buffer
contains both "d:/upperdir" and "d:/upperdir/somedir" and point is on
the latter.

-Dave

* Re: A question about dired-tree-up and switching w32 drive in dired
@ 2005-06-25 19:24   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2005-06-25 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Hunter wrote:

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
>
>> I am trying to use `dired-tree-up' on w32. I get the error (error
>> "Cannot go up to d:/upperdir/ - not in this tree"). d:/upperdir/
>> exists and is the directory dired is showing. What is wrong?
>

> Hmm... did you dired "d:/upperdir/somedir" then run 'dired-tree-up'?
> That would make sense, and you want to use 'dired-up-directory'
> instead.  'dired-tree-up' does what you want when your dired buffer
> contains both "d:/upperdir" and "d:/upperdir/somedir" and point is on
> the latter.

Thanks Dave, you are right. But I must say that the message "Cannot go
up ..." is not very informative when you are not that used to dired.

I thought that this might be related to the missing possibility to go up
to the level where I could choose drive, but it does not seem to be so.
It seems like you have to know about C-x d. I think this makes it a bit
hard for beginners on w32.