all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mapping alt to altgr
@ 2005-06-06  9:24 Daniel Aarno
       [not found] ` <mailman.3509.1118055130.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Daniel Aarno @ 2005-06-06  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I tried to map left alt to altgr (right alt) in emacs without success. I
tried using xmodmap to do this by changing alt_L from mod1 to mod2 but emacs
didn't like that. Doing that makes left alt work as altgr in all other xprogram
such as xterm and even XEmacs. However, running emacs both left alt and altgr
now only gives me the beeep when I try to use them. I'm on a Solaris 9 OS with
sun swedish key-board.

Greatful for any insight

/Daniel Aarno

* Re: Mapping alt to altgr
@ 2005-06-06 10:23 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3509.1118055130.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-06 10:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.06.2005 um 11:24 schrieb Daniel Aarno:

> Hi, I tried to map left alt to altgr (right alt) in emacs without
> success.

You know 'xmodmap -pm'?

You know xev that tells you a key's keysym and keycode?

Did you use syntax like

	clear Mod1
	clear Mod2
	keycode 66 = Meta_L
	add Mod1 = Meta_L

How and when do you try to tell X11 the new key meanings?

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: Mapping alt to altgr
       [not found] ` <mailman.3509.1118055130.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-06 15:44   ` Daniel Aarno
From: Daniel Aarno @ 2005-06-06 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is the contents of my .xmodmaprc

remove mod2 = Alt_L
remove mod1 = Alt_L
remove mod2 = Mode_switch
remove mod1 = Mode_switch
remove mod1 = Multi_key
add mod2 = Mode_switch
add mod2 = Alt_L

After logging in I run xmodmap .xmodmaprc followed by xmodmap -pm which prints out:

xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0xe8),  Shift_R (0xec)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x40)
control     Control_L (0xe7)
mod1
mod2        Mode_switch (0xed),  Alt_L (0xe9)
mod3        Num_Lock (0x5a)
mod4        Meta_L (0xea),  Meta_R (0xee)
mod5

Then I start emacs and is unable to use either alt or altgr to compose
character such as { on my swedish layout. Howerver in all other apps (like
thunderbird where I just wrote it), including Xemacs it works fine. I was
hoping there was away to do this internally in emacs.

I don't know xev, neither can I find it on my system.

Hope this is helps you help me

/Daniel Aarno

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 06.06.2005 um 11:24 schrieb Daniel Aarno:
>
>> Hi, I tried to map left alt to altgr (right alt) in emacs without
>> success.
>

> You know 'xmodmap -pm'?
>
> You know xev that tells you a key's keysym and keycode?
>
> Did you use syntax like
>
>     clear Mod1
>     clear Mod2
>     keycode 66 = Meta_L
>     add Mod1 = Meta_L
>
> How and when do you try to tell X11 the new key meanings?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> $ sumascii BILL GATES
>   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
>  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663
>
>  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: Mapping alt to altgr
@ 2005-06-06 22:57     ` Peter Dyballa
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-06 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 06.06.2005 um 17:44 schrieb Daniel Aarno:

> mod1
> mod2        Mode_switch (0xed),  Alt_L (0xe9)
> mod3        Num_Lock (0x5a)
> mod4        Meta_L (0xea),  Meta_R (0xee)

This is a very bad layout: Mode_switch and Alt modifier are probably
related to each other as football and soccer. The one changes the
operating mode of the keyboard, the latter just selects another keysym
from the few which are assigned to a key (keycode  34 = 7 slash bar
backslash).

I am sure Solaris 9 has xev, in former versions it was a bit hidden.

I think you should just swap the two keys Mode_switch and Alt_L (which
should be renamed to Alt_R accordingly). You'll need the Mode_switch to
access the layers with diacritics. The syntax would be like:

	keycode <number one> = Mode_switch
	keycode <number two> = Alt_R

You can retrieve the keycodes without xev if xmodmap supports -pke.

Please use clear to clean modifier settings. Clear and remove are
distinct. Clear only removes a setting from a modifier, so that it's
now empty, undefined, free for a new setting. Remove deletes a keysym
from the map, it's lost and cannot be re-used as a modifier. Consult
'man xmodmap' and spend some time with it!

--
Greetings

   Pete

War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
-Anonymous

* Re: Mapping alt to altgr
@ 2005-06-07  6:20     ` Travis Spencer
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3585.1118099200.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3630.1118125698.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Travis Spencer @ 2005-06-07  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 6/6/05, Daniel Aarno <macbishop@users.sf.net> wrote:
> After logging in I run xmodmap .xmodmaprc

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what it takes to run this
automatically on login (on Solaris if that makes a difference).  It
gets kinda tiresome to type this every time I work at the console
where the keyboard layout doesn't suit me.

--

Regards,

Travis Spencer
Portland, OR USA

* Re: Mapping alt to altgr
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3585.1118099200.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-07  7:10       ` Daniel Aarno
From: Daniel Aarno @ 2005-06-07  7:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks, now I use the following .xmodmaprc and it works in emacs too.

clear mod2
clear mod1
keycode 237 = Mode_switch
keycode 233 = Mode_switch
add mod2 = Mode_switch
add mod1 = Multi_key

/Daniel Aarno

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 06.06.2005 um 17:44 schrieb Daniel Aarno:
>
>> mod1
>> mod2        Mode_switch (0xed),  Alt_L (0xe9)
>> mod3        Num_Lock (0x5a)
>> mod4        Meta_L (0xea),  Meta_R (0xee)
>>

> This is a very bad layout: Mode_switch and Alt modifier are probably
> related to each other as football and soccer. The one changes the
> operating mode of the keyboard, the latter just selects another keysym
> from the few which are assigned to a key (keycode  34 = 7 slash bar
> backslash).
>
> I am sure Solaris 9 has xev, in former versions it was a bit hidden.
>
> I think you should just swap the two keys Mode_switch and Alt_L (which
> should be renamed to Alt_R accordingly). You'll need the Mode_switch to
> access the layers with diacritics. The syntax would be like:
>
>     keycode <number one> = Mode_switch
>     keycode <number two> = Alt_R
>
> You can retrieve the keycodes without xev if xmodmap supports -pke.
>
> Please use clear to clean modifier settings. Clear and remove are
> distinct. Clear only removes a setting from a modifier, so that it's now
> empty, undefined, free for a new setting. Remove deletes a keysym from
> the map, it's lost and cannot be re-used as a modifier. Consult 'man
> xmodmap' and spend some time with it!
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> War springs from unseen and generally insignificant causes.
> -Anonymous

* Re: Mapping alt to altgr
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3630.1118125698.25862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-06-07  7:13       ` Daniel Aarno
From: Daniel Aarno @ 2005-06-07  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

I put the following in my .xinitrc file

xmodmap .xmodmaprc

but it depends on what windowmanager etc you are using if it is run or not.
Othwerwise there is a similar file such as .cderc (IIRC) for the CDE window
manager, consult your window mangagers help or ask google.

/Daniel Aarno

@ 2005-06-07  8:09       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-06-07  8:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.06.2005 um 08:20 schrieb Travis Spencer:

>> After logging in I run xmodmap .xmodmaprc
>
> Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what it takes to run this
> automatically on login (on Solaris if that makes a difference).

If you put that invocation into .openwin-init, .xsession, or whatever
launches the X11 environment for you, it takes some milli seconds ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

   Basic, n.:
	A programming language.  Related to certain social diseases in
that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.