all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Need advice for upgrading (21.3 --> 21.4)
@ 2005-04-08 20:11 Madhusudan Singh
From: Madhusudan Singh @ 2005-04-08 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

 I am using emacs 21.3 (I compiled it myself with elisp, leim, auctex,
dvipng, etc.) on Debian Linux (Sarge).

 I wish to upgrade to version 21.4 from sources. My emacs installation is
located in /usr/local/emacs. What is the best way to upgrade from source
while making sure that none of the configurations and the great packages
that I have installed after a year or so of use, get lost, and work with
version 21.4 ?

Thanks.

* Re: Need advice for upgrading (21.3 --> 21.4)
@ 2005-04-08 21:50 ` rgb
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: rgb @ 2005-04-08 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Madhusudan Singh wrote:
> Hi
>
>  I am using emacs 21.3 (I compiled it myself with elisp, leim,
auctex,
> dvipng, etc.) on Debian Linux (Sarge).
>
>  I wish to upgrade to version 21.4 from sources. My emacs
installation is
> located in /usr/local/emacs. What is the best way to upgrade from
source
> while making sure that none of the configurations and the great
packages
> that I have installed after a year or so of use, get lost, and work
with
> version 21.4 ?
>
> Thanks.

The difference between 21.3 and 21.4 was security related.
There were no feature changes.  The `upgrade' should make no
difference to the operation of any personal macros or other
packages you've added.

* Re: Need advice for upgrading (21.3 --> 21.4)
@ 2005-04-08 22:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-04-08 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 08.04.2005 um 22:11 schrieb Madhusudan Singh:

> My emacs installation is located in /usr/local/emacs. What is the best
> way to upgrade from source while making sure that none of the
> configurations and the great packages that I have installed after a
> year or so of use, get lost, and work with version 21.4 ?

Put your great packages into the site-lisp directory and the site-wide
configurations into the same, or a file in there. Files in the
site-lisp directory or any of its sub-directories are not touched,
except for subdirs.el. So your code will be saved. In case of GNU Emacs
21.4 there can be guaranteed that the upgrade won't change the function
of that code since the change from 21.3 to 21.4 happed only because of
security reasons.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence. - Jeremy S. Anderson

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Hupende Autos beißen nicht.

* Re: Need advice for upgrading (21.3 --> 21.4)
@ 2005-04-09 12:31 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2005-04-09 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 08 2005, Madhusudan Singh wrote:

>  I am using emacs 21.3 (I compiled it myself with elisp, leim, auctex,
> dvipng, etc.) on Debian Linux (Sarge).
>
>  I wish to upgrade to version 21.4 from sources. My emacs installation is
> located in /usr/local/emacs. What is the best way to upgrade from source
> while making sure that none of the configurations and the great packages
> that I have installed after a year or so of use, get lost, and work with
> version 21.4 ?

21.3 and 21.4 differ only in a security bug fix in the movemail
program.  You could compile 21.4 (or only the movemail program) and
replace only the movemail binary (located in

But if you have installed the lisp packages (like AUCTeX) in the
site-lisp directory, a new (full) installation of Emacs shouldn't do
any harm.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Need advice for upgrading (21.3 --> 21.4)
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-04-11  8:30 ` Ismael Valladolid Torres
From: Ismael Valladolid Torres @ 2005-04-11  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

If running Debian, it's worth a try to create packages for CVS Emacs
that you can install and uninstall using dpkg.

 http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/CVSEmacsOnDebian

Also a lot of useful information here:

 http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsCvsAndDebian

Cordially, Ismael