all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* configuring gdb (gud) to start on a given file
@ 2005-03-29  9:24 Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2005-03-29  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

When i start gdb the first time in an emacs session, it prompts
   Run gdb (like this): gdb

After running it once, it remembers what the previous executable.

How can i get the gdb (gud) mode to either remember between
emacs sessions, or set a default executable and/or gdb command
in my .emacs file?

I'm running 21.2.1, as distributed in Mac OSX, 10.3.2.

Thanks in advance for any info, including pointers to info
pages or man pages or FAQs.

dan

* Re: configuring gdb (gud) to start on a given file
@ 2005-03-29 22:16 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-03-29 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Hitt wrote:
 > When i start gdb the first time in an emacs session, it prompts
 >    Run gdb (like this): gdb
 >
 > After running it once, it remembers what the previous executable.
 >
 > How can i get the gdb (gud) mode to either remember between
 > emacs sessions, or set a default executable and/or gdb command
 > in my .emacs file?

Try this:

(setq gud-gdb-history '("gdb /path/to/default/executable"))

 > I'm running 21.2.1, as distributed in Mac OSX, 10.3.2.
 >
 > Thanks in advance for any info, including pointers to info
 > pages or man pages or FAQs.

`C-h f gdb RET', then click on the `gud' library; you'll see that it
calls (gud-query-cmdline 'gdb) to read its arguments, and that the
default is the first element of the (gud-symbol 'history nil 'gdb)
symbol's value.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* configuring gdb (gud) to start on a given file
@ 2005-03-29 22:59 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-03-29 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> How can i get the gdb (gud) mode to either remember between
> emacs sessions, or set a default executable and/or gdb command
> in my .emacs file?

I don't think you can do this in 21.2 but in the "soon-to-be-released"
Emacs 22 you can set or customise gud-gdb-command-name eg in your .emacs
put:

 (setq gud-gdb-command-name "gdb --annotate=3 /home/nick/myprog")

However this is not really how it is generally used because one day
you might want to debug another program!

Nick

* Re: configuring gdb (gud) to start on a given file
@ 2005-03-30  9:50   ` Dan Hitt
From: Dan Hitt @ 2005-03-30  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Kevin and Nick,

Thanks for the advice on how to proceed.  Kevin's method works,
and no doubt Nick's will in emacs 22.  (And i do run gdb on
lots of programs, but i've had to do it a great deal on this
program whose path is very long.)

dan