all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
@ 2005-03-24 23:35 Joachim Nilsson
From: Joachim Nilsson @ 2005-03-24 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi!

I "made" alternative dired icons based on the GNOME file-manager.png
available in the hicolor theme.  I think that is the standard theme.
With my limited perception this one feels more appropriate than the
current folder-with-a-d currently used.

Xpm, pbm and a toolbar screenshot is available for inspection at

	http://vmlinux.org/jocke/gnu/emacs/

Regards
  /Jocke

* Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
@ 2005-03-25  0:14 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-25  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs-Devel

Joachim Nilsson <joachim.nilsson@vmlinux.org> writes:

> I "made" alternative dired icons based on the GNOME file-manager.png
> available in the hicolor theme.  I think that is the standard theme.
> With my limited perception this one feels more appropriate than the
> current folder-with-a-d currently used.

Seconded.  folder-d is a crutch.

> Xpm, pbm and a toolbar screenshot is available for inspection at
>
> 	http://vmlinux.org/jocke/gnu/emacs/

I find that it appears too dark (contrast too low, too), and too
small.  That being said, I think that Jan did the adaptation of the
GNOME icons, so maybe he has a script to import the original icon "in
style".

* Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
@ 2005-03-25  1:06   ` Joachim Nilsson
From: Joachim Nilsson @ 2005-03-25  1:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs-Devel

David Kastrup wrote:
> Joachim Nilsson <joachim.nilsson@vmlinux.org> writes:
>>Xpm, pbm and a toolbar screenshot is available for inspection at
>>	http://vmlinux.org/jocke/gnu/emacs/
> I find that it appears too dark (contrast too low, too), and too small.

If Jan has an automated script, that's great. In the meantime I did
two new xpm's, a little bit brighter and two sizes bigger than the
first one.  There are screenshots for them as well.

diropen2.xpm	- A bit too big, height 24px.
diropen3.xpm	- Feels better, height 20px.

@ 2005-03-25  1:56     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-25  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs-Devel

Joachim Nilsson <joachim.nilsson@vmlinux.org> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>> Joachim Nilsson <joachim.nilsson@vmlinux.org> writes:
>>>Xpm, pbm and a toolbar screenshot is available for inspection at
>>>	http://vmlinux.org/jocke/gnu/emacs/
>> I find that it appears too dark (contrast too low, too), and too small.
>
> If Jan has an automated script, that's great. In the meantime I did
> two new xpm's, a little bit brighter and two sizes bigger than the
> first one.  There are screenshots for them as well.
>
> diropen2.xpm	- A bit too big, height 24px.

Actually, I find that ok.

> diropen3.xpm	- Feels better, height 20px.

The color appears to be off somewhat, inconsistent with other colors.
I suggest we wait for Jan to speak up: presumably if he does the
conversion with his method, what was consistent in GNOME, should
become consistent in Emacs.

* Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
@ 2005-03-25 22:36       ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-03-25 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Joachim Nilsson, GNU Emacs-Devel

>>If Jan has an automated script, that's great. In the meantime I did
>>two new xpm's, a little bit brighter and two sizes bigger than the
>>first one.  There are screenshots for them as well.
>>
>>diropen2.xpm	- A bit too big, height 24px.
>>

>Actually, I find that ok.
>

>>diropen3.xpm	- Feels better, height 20px.
>>

>The color appears to be off somewhat, inconsistent with other colors.
>I suggest we wait for Jan to speak up: presumably if he does the
>conversion with his method, what was consistent in GNOME, should
>become consistent in Emacs.

The Gnome icons are consistent because the Gnome people designed them
that way, I didn't do anything in the conversion.   The colors of this
icon seem to be a bit off compared to the standard icons.  I don't have
any opinion on this icon, if you feel it is better, check it in.  Just
don't forget to reduce the colors some more, ideally not more than
hundred.  Otherwise people running on 8 bit displays will run out.  When
reducing colors, avoid dithering, it looks bad on icons this small.  And
use the same palette as for the other icons also, so the sum of colors
Emacs uses doesn't increase (it is on the limit for 8 bit displays already).

    Jan D.

* Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
@ 2005-03-25 22:43         ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-03-25 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Joachim Nilsson, GNU Emacs-Devel

"Jan D." <jan.h.d@swipnet.se> writes:

>>>If Jan has an automated script, that's great. In the meantime I did
>>>two new xpm's, a little bit brighter and two sizes bigger than the
>>>first one.  There are screenshots for them as well.
>>>
>>>diropen2.xpm	- A bit too big, height 24px.
>>>

>>Actually, I find that ok.
>>

>>>diropen3.xpm	- Feels better, height 20px.
>>>

>>The color appears to be off somewhat, inconsistent with other colors.
>>I suggest we wait for Jan to speak up: presumably if he does the
>>conversion with his method, what was consistent in GNOME, should
>>become consistent in Emacs.
>>

> The Gnome icons are consistent because the Gnome people designed them
> that way,

That's what I said.

> I didn't do anything in the conversion.

Ah, but the question is, just _how_ did you convert them?  So that one
can convert this item in the same way.

> The colors of this icon seem to be a bit off compared to the
> standard icons.  I don't have any opinion on this icon, if you feel
> it is better, check it in.

Personally, I definitely find it better than the "d" folder thing.
Even though that is not a hard task.

> Just don't forget to reduce the colors some more, ideally not more
> than hundred.  Otherwise people running on 8 bit displays will run
> out.  When reducing colors, avoid dithering, it looks bad on icons
> this small.  And use the same palette as for the other icons also,
> so the sum of colors Emacs uses doesn't increase (it is on the limit
> for 8 bit displays already).

Did you do the conversion manually, or did you use some special tool
for it?  Actually, this is a stupid question since you probably did
not use pencil and paper.  So what tool did you use, and how?

* Re: Toolbar: Suggestion for improved dired icon.
@ 2005-03-25 23:11           ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2005-03-25 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Joachim Nilsson, GNU Emacs-Devel

David Kastrup wrote:

>>Just don't forget to reduce the colors some more, ideally not more
>>than hundred.  Otherwise people running on 8 bit displays will run
>>out.  When reducing colors, avoid dithering, it looks bad on icons
>>this small.  And use the same palette as for the other icons also,
>>so the sum of colors Emacs uses doesn't increase (it is on the limit
>>for 8 bit displays already).
>>

>Did you do the conversion manually, or did you use some special tool
>for it?  Actually, this is a stupid question since you probably did
>not use pencil and paper.  So what tool did you use, and how?

Gimp, I don't remember the details, but convert to indexed, and reduce
colors and choose palette when doing that.  Then save as xpm, setting
alpha to 255.  I don't think it was any more steps.

    Jan D.